Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Templates

From where can I use/buy some more nice looking templates? Is there anyone who provides customized templates?

iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 17, 2012 6:56 PM

14 replies

May 24, 2012 4:20 AM in response to Supremepower

The front page is 600x800. All images must be 1024 x 768 (iPad screen size). If you make it any bigger, the ipad will downsize it anyway. Also, if you want to get rid of the textbook borders and page numbers, make a rectangle (from shapes menu) turn it white (change color), stretch it to fill the page and rightclick the rectangle and change order to (move to back). If you want, make a template with a bunch of pages with white rectangles. Then you can use textboxes and put your text on top. Now you have a clean page to add stuff to without the borders. DO NOT BUY A TEMPLATE, That's a waist of money. Just delete all the "junk" out of apple's pre-made templets and add white rectangles to the background on each page. That's what I do.

May 24, 2012 4:39 AM in response to Jake_Russel

Jake_Russel wrote:

The front page is 600x800.

Note that this week's email from Apple to publishers states:

We are changing the minimum size for cover images. Cover images should now be 1400 pixels wide, in the RGB color space, and delivered as JPEG files. The new minimum size for cover images will be a requirement starting this August. Books already available on the iBookstore do not need to be redelivered.

I'm not sure what they mean by "1400 pixels wide". Seeing that cover images are normally taller than they are wide, does that mean they need to be 2100 pixels tall?

Michi.

May 24, 2012 6:09 AM in response to MichiHenning

Sory, I'm not registered as an apple developer. I'm doing my research the long and hard way by reading just about everything online and compiling info that way. Since this is my very first project using iBooks and iPad, I am only able to get what's online.

About the 1400 pixels wide. Maybe they do mean 2100x1400, since the ipad 3 has that resolution. Still don't know why so large since iPad only shows the cover page for 2 seconds when you open a book, and you can't zoom in anyway, and on itunes the book cover is like 200x400 anyways.

May 24, 2012 6:17 AM in response to Jake_Russel

About the 1400 pixels wide. Maybe they do mean 2100x1400, since the ipad 3 has that resolution.

Almost: the new iPad has a resolution of 2048 x 1536.

Still don't know why so large since iPad only shows the cover page for 2 seconds when you open a book, and you can't zoom in anyway, and on itunes the book cover is like 200x400 anyways.

Yes. Given the current way book covers are published, the new size requirements make no sense at all. Also, it would have been nice to specify the actual dimensions. When they say "1400 pixels wide", do they mean 1400 x 2100? Why not be precise and say "x pixels tall and y pixels wide"?

The size requirements would seems to indicate some upcoming change in the way books are presented in the store. Otherwise, there is no point to this.

Michi.

May 24, 2012 10:58 AM in response to MichiHenning

I was just thinking the same thing about a new feature Apple may be sneeking in the back door. I think they want ibook makers to make HD everything since the iPad 3 can now handle it.

Also, they may be adding iBooks 3 to itunes where you can actually view the cover full screen without the side decorations.

The 1400 pixels wide I think means that the shortest side has to be at least 1400 pixels. Some books are sideways or perfectly square so they chose to say 1400 pixels wide instead of 2100x1400 since that would say that the image had to be a rectangle. Maybe itunes doesn't care what shape the cover image is, as long as its HD.

Jun 20, 2012 11:57 AM in response to YouriPadBookDotCom

No, it means that your image must be at least 1400px wide minimum. The hieght can be anything you want above 1400px. If you look at books in itunes, there are all shapes of covers. Some are perfect squares, some portait and some landscape. If your cover is square it needs to be 1400px by 1400px. Portrait or landscape COULD mean 1400px by 2100px. Just know it needs to be at least 1400px wide or tall. Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2012 1:24 PM in response to Jake_Russel

No, it means that your image must be at least 1400px wide minimum.

Right. That's what Apple said, and I remember being a littled puzzled because it's a slight ambiguous statement.

J If your cover is square it needs to be 1400px by 1400px. Portrait or landscape COULD mean 1400px by 2100px. Just know it needs to be at least 1400px wide or tall.

Now, why couldn't have Apple said it that way? "At least 1400px in either dimensions" is what they apparently mean, so why not say it?

Michi.

Templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.