Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone used Trim Enabler on SSD?

Hey, I have a Crucial 512GB SSD that I just installed and I'd like to enable TRIM. Has anyone here used Trim Enabler? I'm hesitant to use it until I get some positive feedback.

Thanks,

Clinton

Mac OS X (10.7.4), 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

Posted on May 17, 2012 9:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:00 PM

Works like a champ.

6 replies

Jan 29, 2014 1:39 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

A good way to reach you off post:

Hi Clinton, how are you? Still happy with your 900GBCrucial?

I see that you are on Mavericks: may be you allow me to make some comments about things that used to be good for MBP's:

Trim: we talke about that not so long ago.

Hibernatemode: we used to disable that on our MBP's because with SSD it serves nothing, and it saves a lot of large writes, and takes space; the sleepimage is/was as large as the amount of Ram. No longer in Mavericks: the sleepimage is only a bit less than 1.1GB not much to gain. BUT, even more interesting: when you set Hibernatemode to 0, there still is a sleepimage written ⚠, when you "touch" an empty locked sleepimagefile of zero bytes, instead a Swapfile is written of the same size as the sleepimage.

Conclusion, not effective to set hibernatemode to 0 and remove the sleepimage. Good, because want to mess as little as possible in the system files don't we (although it makes us feel a bit special😁).

greetings,

Lex

Jan 29, 2014 1:46 AM in response to Lexiepex

Lex,

Wow! I'm surprised that you found this old thread! M500 is going strong - I've been bedridden for a couple of weeks and it's so great to have 300+GB of my music on my internal drive.

I've never fooled with hibernatemode, anyway. That's one thing I just leave as is!

I'm going to mark this discussion as solved - had no idea it was still out in the wild!

Clinton

Has anyone used Trim Enabler on SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.