Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air won't charge, no led

Hi, just yesterday I noticed my macbook air (13" 2011) isn't charging when I plug in the magsafe and the led won't turn on. I went through all the steps in the magsafe troubleshooting page - including checking the pins and unplugging the charger for a minute or two and letting it reset in case there was line interference. I've also tried resetting the SMC (ctl-opt-shft-power). That didn't do anything. The computer is still under warranty but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks,

Rich

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:41 AM

8 replies

Jul 4, 2013 2:44 AM in response to fromcoogee

Hi fromcoogee.

I googled this when I had the same issue and the solution that worked was something I would not believe. Basically the magsafe power adaptor needs to be warmed up. I, like the person who suggested this, sat on the adaptor (middle part between connection and powerpoint only as per below link) and for 15 minutes. After doing this it started working again. I figured no harm trying and was shocked to find it worked. I am also from Coogee and given it is July the cold temperature is obviously causing the problem!!

mentioned on this blog:

http://www.johnro.net/2012/12/28/help-my-macbook-airpro-wont-charge/

Aug 4, 2013 6:37 PM in response to BSZL

Thanks for posting this link! I actually guffawed when I read this proposed solution, but I was so desparate I tried it anyway. I'm in China right now, and it will be months before I can get to an Apple Store stateside. I didn't actually sit on the charger; just ran a hair dryer on very low heat setting for 5 seconds. Worked like a charm! This most likely is not a very good long term solution, but it works for now.

macbook air won't charge, no led

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.