Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Hard Drive ?

How do I setup my Time Capsule to be just an external hard drive and not a wireless router/hub?

PC 3.6 ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 18, 2012 6:58 AM

8 replies

May 18, 2012 7:53 AM in response to Lawscreen

We are going to need a few more details in order to provide the correct answer for your question.

How is the Time Capsule setup at the present time? Does it connect to your modem/router using an Ethernet cable connection?

Or, do you have it configured in another manner? If so, please provide the details.

Are you still using OS X 10.4.6 as your profile indicates?

If not, what is the current OSX that you are using?

May 19, 2012 10:46 AM in response to Lawscreen

Bob, thanks for your reply. The Time Capsule is currently NOT in use. I had to replace it with an enterprise level Cisco router to avoid some IP conflicts with several vidio security cameras. It was set up and working as my primary router and I was using the internal hard drive for Time Machine. All worked quite well. What I would like to be able to do now is to use the Time Capsule internal hard drive for Time Machine and not use the Time Capsule router at all. I am using OS X 10.7.4. Id like to avoid having to purchase another external hard drive for Time Machine to function when I have one within the Time Capsule. I tried just pluging the Time Capsule into one of the Cicso router ports but my MacPro Time Machine did not recognise it as a hard drive.

Regards, Arthur

May 19, 2012 2:47 PM in response to Lawscreen

Thanks for the info.

Please make sure that you have an Ethernet cable connected from one of the LAN <-> ports on the Cisco router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

• Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility
  • Click on the Time Capsule icon, then click the Edit button
  • Click the Wireless tab at the top of the window and set Network Mode to "Off"

User uploaded file

• Then click the Network tab and make sure that the setting for Router Mode is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)"
  • Click Update to save the settings

User uploaded file

• Open Macintosh HD and the Time Capsule icon should appear under the SHARED heading on the left side of the Finder Window
  • Click the Time Capsule icon and a folder.....named "Data" will appear just to the right (unless you have changed the name of the drive)
  • Double Click Data to mount the drive on the desktop
  • You can drag/drop or copy/paste files to the drive icon on the desktop

User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2012 3:25 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

Hi Hackintosh,

I just installed my new Time Capsule for use with my MacBook Air (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5) .

The extreme works fine but trying to set up Time Machine it seems that it is not able to find the disc. TC is running in bridge-mode and shared, it figures in the "shared"-list but Time machine doesn't show it on any list...

Can you give me a hint to make this work?

Thanks.

Greg

Dec 1, 2012 12:02 PM in response to GregTheVet

Hack hasn't been around for a while..

But I would suggest you make sure your Lion is updated.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1599

And since you are on Lion install the 5.6 utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

If no go reset TM

A4 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

See if it can then pick up the disk..

We often find a reboot of the whole network once the setup is complete helps.. start in correct order.. modem.. router /TC.. clients.. 2min gap.

Post again if you still have issues.

Screen shot of the setup you are using.

Dec 1, 2012 12:28 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi and thanks a lot for your advices.

Meanwhile I figured out the reason why I couldn't have my Book looking for the disc: the lock in the Time Machine was closed and I couldn't open it to allow changes in setting. I didn't find out why that was the case (I am administrator) but I tryed a shut down and restart of the book. That did solve the problem, I unlocked settings and there was my TC waiting for me... I'm am already runnig my first back up right now.

But reading your message I still went checking on my Lion, which was updated (10.7.5 - 11G63), as well as my Time Machine, I now downloaded the 5.6 utility on your advice, just to be sure.

So thanks again!

Time Capsule Hard Drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.