Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram and Logic

I have a Mac Pro dual quad 3 GHz machine on snow leopard 10.6.3 running logic 9+ (at 32 bit mode)

as expected I run quite a lot of plugins (Stylus, Trillian, Waves etc) and do have quite an elaborate sample library, I do electronic music, so not alot of audio tracks involved, but more soft synth/sample based.

I currently have 3 gigs of RAM (512 x 2, 1 x 2) on my 8 available slots... Im going to upgrade and im thinking of getting 11 gigs altogether.. question is... should I get more than 11?? will there be a substancial difference in performance had I gotten say.. 16? more??

Is it true that Logic wont recognise more than 4 gigs of RAM at 32 bit mode?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on May 18, 2012 10:42 AM

1 reply

May 19, 2012 7:34 AM in response to johnny_cruze

Hi

johnny_cruze wrote:

Is it true that Logic wont recognise more than 4 gigs of RAM at 32 bit mode?

Yes... no application can access more than 4G in 32 bit mode (and Logic doesn't like using more than 3 generally).

The solution these days is to run in 64bit mode, with as much RAM as you can sensibly afford.

All the info is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3989

Note that MacPro's tend to perform better with the RAM in matching sticks (ie all the same), and, depending on the particular Mac, they work best when the RAM is installed in groups of 3.

CCT

Ram and Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.