Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i configure my lion server to update my other workstations

I have a brand new Mac OS X Lion server. How do I go about setting up my Lion server to download updates for my other workstations (about 30). These workstations are mixed with Macbook Pros using 10.6 as well as some using 10.7, iMac's using 10.6 and 10.7 and Mac Pros using 10.7.

What do I need to do on the client side as well so that they can download from my OS X server. I have created a DNS entry for my OS X server in my DNS as well as a static IP.

Mac OS X Lion Server-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 18, 2012 12:15 PM

1 reply

May 18, 2012 1:05 PM in response to carec_it

How do I go about setting up my Lion server to download updates for my other workstations

Use Server Admin to turn on the Software Update Server. Give it a while to download all the updates. Done.

What do I need to do on the client side as well so that they can download from my OS X server

How do the clients connect to the server? Are they using central accounts via Open Directory? or are they local accounts on each machine.

If you're using Open Directory you can control the software update server via Workgroup Manager, otherwise you'll need to walk through each machine and update its software update configuration. Apple have a tech note that describes how to manually configure each client to use your server.

how do i configure my lion server to update my other workstations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.