Skip navigation

User name change

643 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2012 7:43 PM by X423424X RSS
Igor_G5 Level 2 Level 2 (300 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 18, 2012 3:08 PM

Hi All,

I recently got a 12" late 04 PowerBook G4 (6,4) 1.33 GHz running 10.5.8. It came with a user account named User User. I changed the name to the name that I wanted. Now, when I go inE SIDEBAR THto the users folder there's a folder called User User the side bar on the left side of the windows is i home icon that's called User User. The login window shows my name. How do I fix this?

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,755 points)
    May 18, 2012 4:22 PM (in response to Igor_G5)

Hi Igor, you can't do it that simply in the Finder.

Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4 or later: Return to default desktop, apparent "loss" of home directory...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107854

May 19, 2012 10:39 PM (in response to Igor_G5)

Hi again, I'm not seeing where the problem is, what am I missing?

Did you try the link to restore it back to the Original user, then do it the correct way?

May 19, 2012 11:43 PM (in response to Igor_G5)

OK, not sure I understand completely, but...

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

• X423424X Level 6 Level 6 (14,190 points)
    May 20, 2012 2:14 AM (in response to Igor_G5)

Your problem is much like the the problem I just replied to in another thread with a related problem.  See my post there.

May 20, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to Igor_G5)

Igor_G5 wrote:

Thanks X423424X. That did it. I went in there and changed my short name from UserUser to Jon and changed the path to my home folder so that the folder was named Jon. I ended up with user folders for both and got rid of the one I didn't want. Wanted to take care of it before I did too much and ended up losing a bunch of stuff.

As you can see it isn't that hard when you are aware of all the "moving parts".

May 20, 2012 7:43 PM (in response to Igor_G5)

Igor_G5 wrote:

Sorry BDAqua but his was easier. Yours might have worked but I'm a little leary of using Terminal if I don't know what I'm typing. Yours might help me with another situation I forsee so if it comes about I'll post it here and you can post the same answer for a "solved".

Start a new thread.  Don't overload a thread on one topic with another.  It make it harder for others to find answer on a particular topic.  Also you cannot marked "solved" twice in any one thread.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.