Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User name change

Hi All,

I recently got a 12" late 04 PowerBook G4 (6,4) 1.33 GHz running 10.5.8. It came with a user account named User User. I changed the name to the name that I wanted. Now, when I go inE SIDEBAR THto the users folder there's a folder called User User the side bar on the left side of the windows is i home icon that's called User User. The login window shows my name. How do I fix this?

Posted on May 18, 2012 3:08 PM

10 replies

May 19, 2012 11:18 PM in response to BDAqua

I didn't change the name of the home directory. I changed the name of the account. But the user directory remained the same. Nothing was lost because nothing was there. It's just that although I changed the name of the account, The name in Users didn't change nor did it change in the sidebar. I changed the name in the account to Jon. I login as Jon, I logout as Jon. The User folder aand the name in the sidebar didn't change to Jon but remained as UserUser. Any changes that I make while logged in as Jon are made to the UserUser folder. It's more of a nuisance than a real problem. As long as I don't mind my user folder being named UserUser and don't mind my name by the home in the home in the sidebar showing up as UserUser it isn't a problem at all. For that matter I could change the account back to UserUser and spend the rest of my life as UserUser But I'd rather change it to who I want to be while there's nothing there.

May 19, 2012 11:43 PM in response to Igor_G5

OK, not sure I understand completely, but...

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

May 20, 2012 7:11 PM in response to X423424X

Thanks X423424X. That did it. I went in there and changed my short name from UserUser to Jon and changed the path to my home folder so that the folder was named Jon. I ended up with user folders for both and got rid of the one I didn't want. Wanted to take care of it before I did too much and ended up losing a bunch of stuff.

May 20, 2012 7:41 PM in response to Igor_G5

Igor_G5 wrote:

Thanks X423424X. That did it. I went in there and changed my short name from UserUser to Jon and changed the path to my home folder so that the folder was named Jon. I ended up with user folders for both and got rid of the one I didn't want. Wanted to take care of it before I did too much and ended up losing a bunch of stuff.

As you can see it isn't that hard when you are aware of all the "moving parts".😉

May 20, 2012 7:43 PM in response to Igor_G5

Igor_G5 wrote:

Sorry BDAqua but his was easier. Yours might have worked but I'm a little leary of using Terminal if I don't know what I'm typing. Yours might help me with another situation I forsee so if it comes about I'll post it here and you can post the same answer for a "solved".

Start a new thread. Don't overload a thread on one topic with another. It make it harder for others to find answer on a particular topic. Also you cannot marked "solved" twice in any one thread.

User name change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.