Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used to be able to text while having a phone conversation, now I can't. What could be the problem?

You're supposed to be able to text while you're on the phone, if I'm not mistaken. I used to do it all the time. All of a sudden, it stopped. As soon as I press send, the red exclamation point pops up and says "unable to send". How can I fix this or can I?

iPhone 4S

Posted on May 18, 2012 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2012 7:58 PM

Did you recently get a new phone, or a new phone number? If not, than try checking settings> messages> and I believe that there is a SMS option in there! Make sure that it is enabled, if so and issues persist, try enabling airplane mode just for a moment, and turn it back off! this will disconnect you form whatever local roaming profile network tower you may be connected to and connect you to the closest one, also make sure 3G is enabled! These are just some idea's I seen resolve such an issue!

Hope I was of help 🙂

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2012 7:58 PM in response to gkm2010

Did you recently get a new phone, or a new phone number? If not, than try checking settings> messages> and I believe that there is a SMS option in there! Make sure that it is enabled, if so and issues persist, try enabling airplane mode just for a moment, and turn it back off! this will disconnect you form whatever local roaming profile network tower you may be connected to and connect you to the closest one, also make sure 3G is enabled! These are just some idea's I seen resolve such an issue!

Hope I was of help 🙂

May 18, 2012 8:09 PM in response to gkm2010

haha fantastic 😀 I think it just needed a boost honestly! When you did all those things, it really had nothing to do with the phone, but re-connecting with your cellular local roaming profile network tower which in general englisjh just means that you connected to the closest service tower 🙂

Mar 19, 2015 11:44 PM in response to W1$C

I have the same issue however, my iphone6 which I just got this week is the 3rd iphone (due to replacements a couple times of 4s) and I have not been able to get texts or send for that matter while on the phone. When I hang up from my call my phone will literally blow-up sometimes with all the incoming txts that did not come in while I was on the phone. This has been an issue for me like I said 4 different phones over the past 3 years.

I used to be able to text while having a phone conversation, now I can't. What could be the problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.