Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not syncing notes

I have iCloud configured on both my iPad2 and iPhone 4S (both using iOS 5.1.1). Both iCloud configs use the same Apple ID, and both are configured to sync notes.

But the set of notes I have on both devices is different. I create a note on either and it stays there and doesn't sync to the other device.

I also have an iMac running Lion, and have iCloud configured there as well, and Mail is set up to show Notes, and it shows the notes that are on the iPhone, but not the iPad (and these two do sync with each other).

Any suggestions about why the iPad is not syncing properly/maintaining its own set of notes?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, iPad 2, IMac 27 inch

Posted on May 19, 2012 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:57 AM

First check that all your settings are correct, that notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the notes you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' account and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud account (you can do this by checking in accounts on an iOS device, or the left side panel in mail on a computer), non iCloud notes will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your notes are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling notes syncing.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2012 11:57 AM in response to hedgert

First check that all your settings are correct, that notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the notes you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' account and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud account (you can do this by checking in accounts on an iOS device, or the left side panel in mail on a computer), non iCloud notes will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your notes are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking notes syncing (mail and notes on a computer) in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling notes syncing.

May 20, 2012 1:03 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston - thank you for the detailed suggestions - how do you check accounts on the iPad version of notes? For the iPhone version there is a button top left and - yes, that's set correctly to ensure the notes are in the iCloud accont - but on the iPad there is no such button - the app shows the list of notes down the left side, with a few buttons to delete/navigate between notes at the bottom, but no accounts button - so maybe the iPad notes are going into another account, but I can't see how to check this?

May 20, 2012 3:36 AM in response to hedgert

If there is no accounts button in the top left corner of the screen, then this will indicate that you only have a account on that device.

In any case, if notes are not going to that device it would be because they are entered into another account on another device, however you appear to be saying you have checked for this. Have you tried disabling/re-enabling the account on your iPad.

May 20, 2012 10:35 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I've just tried disabling/re-enabling notes syncing within iCloud settings - when I disabled, all the notes on the iPad disappeared - leaving the notes app empty. Re-enabling notes syncing then they re-appear (and still the same ones that were on the iPad before, different from the notes that are syncing on the same AppleID iCloud account between the iPhone and my Mac.

I delete the iCloud account from the iPad (again the notes all disappear) and then re-login to that iCloud account and the same notes come back again - so no further on - still not syncing the same set of notes as my iPhone (although they are obviously in iCloud, because they come back having not been on the iPad when I reconnect to the iCloud account).

May 20, 2012 11:25 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I was/am yes, but I guess there are still some bugs in iCloud somewhere.

As well as resetting things on the iPad, I also deleted iCloud from the iPhone, and disabled and re-set up iCloud on my Mac, and now syncing is working finally.

I am saying I think there's a bug as, as well as the fact that all 3 devices showed me using the same iCloud account, when I first set up iCloud across my devices, I tested syncing and notes worked.

Winston thanks for your help - the disable/re-enable you suggested is what got it working again.

not syncing notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.