5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 10:46 AM by ChrisChoy
Hamper Level 1 (0 points)

When I download files from the internet sometimes I get the same file twice and of course OS X affixes a "-1" to denote this, however when I search a folder (via the top right search tool) for any files containing "-1" in the file name (boolean) it does not show them, why is this?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.3), 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  • Shootist007 Level 6 (16,660 points)

what exact expression are you using. To my knowledge spotlight doesn't do wildcard characters (although I may be misstaken). So a search for *-1.* will turn up nothing. Try Easy Find a free search program. It is very good and works with wildcard characters

• Hamper Level 1 (0 points)

Well, that's all I needed to know, it's not wildcard compliant as it were. I don't like 3rd party apps, unless they're plug-ins to enhance the existing toolset provided by OS X, interesting.

I will suggest it, but, personally, I don't know why it wouldn't find the chars as they're a part of the filename!

• Shootist007 Level 6 (16,660 points)

If you try Easy Find and don't like it you can unistall it just by deleting the App.

It is one of the best Search programs I have used on either Mac or Windows.

You may also like to try Find Any File.

As to not using any 3rd party apps, well that is odd. Apple does not make all apps for all operations/needs. So at some point you will need to use an appplication written and sold by some other software company. So you don't use any Adobe software or any other software from other software companies?

• Hamper Level 1 (0 points)

I'm not against them, but for such a core service I don't like the idea of having to boot up an app just for that, I think with a minor tweak it could (should) be added. Sure it might not be at the top of their priority list and might never get added, but I'll survive.

Thanks for the app recomendations, perhaps I was hasty to dismiss them, not even looked.

• ChrisChoy Level 1 (0 points)

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19472016?ac_cid=op123456#19472016

I had the same problem and it seems some kind of indexing problem.