Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth not available

I am without my apple wireless keyboard. I am using a non-apple wired keyboard .. Please advice how to press the Command key to perform the reset of PRAM ?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 19, 2012 10:34 AM

15 replies

May 19, 2012 5:53 PM in response to X423424X

Yes the wired keyboard is for Window. With the bluetooth not available I am unable to paired my Apple keyboard. I understand that to reset the PRAM, I would have to press Command+Option+P+R at the same time, so any another way to do this without an Apple Command key ?

I have already performed the AHT successfully without any hardware issue, assuming that the AHT do check the built-in Bluetooth component. I have done the SMC reset many times, as well as login in 'safe mode', but all have not fix this problem. HELP please!

May 22, 2012 12:58 AM in response to X423424X

Thank you, I have try the window key and it did perform the PRAM reset. However, my bluetooth is still not available.

Any idea whether the AHT check the bluetooth hardware or not ? I am totally out of options. Should I take my Apple to the Retail store for checkup ? It's so heavy.

Any idea how much Apple would charge for consultation or should I buy an external USB bluetooth device and ignore the built-in ?

Very very sad.

May 22, 2012 9:08 AM in response to X423424X

I have done the SMC reset and PRAM reset again. Unfortunately, the bluetooth is still not available.

There is no icon in the system preferences for BlueTooth, hence I can not remove the keyboard from the bluetooth preferences nor can I pairing them again.

I have already performed the Apple Hardware Test and the result is good with no defects. So could I assume the bluetooth module (hardware) is working and this is a software problem or not. Any idea what is the scope of the Apple Hardware Test ?

Is there any script to turn the bluetooth on again ?

May 24, 2012 12:09 PM in response to 20122012jen

I am going to suggest something I never suggested before but I figure you have nothing to loose trying it. The fact that you couldn't even launch Bluetooth Explorer makes me dubious this will work. But what the heck...

/System/Library/PreferencePanes contains all the system preference panels that can populate your System Preferences. So what happens if you double click /System/Library/PreferencePanes/User uploaded fileBluetooth.prefPane? Will it launch? And if so will it allow you to pair devices? And if so does it "stick" in that the Bluetooth prefPane is now in your preference panels?

If you cannot launch the panel or pair if you do then possibly your bluetooth is indeed "dead" and you will need apple to diagnose/fix this.

Jun 4, 2012 8:08 PM in response to 20122012jen

X423424X, thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, I was unable to launch the panel or pair the device.

What happened?

Any idea, whether an external USB bluetooth could work on-top of the "dead" built-in ?

I am not sure. I was assuming/hoping that the BT support was installed on your system and only the prefPane suppressed. Perhaps not.

Any idea how much Apple would charge on the diagnose or repair ?

Call and ask? I don't know. There's proably a base diagnostic fee plus service fee if you let them do the work.

Bluetooth not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.