Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone froze during iOS 5.1 upgrade

iPhone 4 froze during iOS 5.1 upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 using iTunes 10.6.1.7 on Win 7 (SP1 and 64bits). Now iPhone is not visible in Win 7 and not in iTunes. I cannot reset the frozen iPhone.

I checked all the drivers they seem to be OK. I upgraded Apple Mobile Driver with its latest 64 bit version.

I uninstalled iTunes and Apple software in the Apple specified order. I made sure all Apple software was removed, I re-installed iTunes and the other Apple sotware.. Nothing worked.

When I wake up iPhone when it is connected to the USB port, Win 7 issues the welcoming sound, and the good by sound when the devise is swith off. Apparently Win 7 is semi aware of the iPhone connection.

I still have a frozen iPhone and no way to reset it.

GoodUser

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, Pls help me restore the iOS 5.1

Posted on May 19, 2012 4:45 PM

10 replies

May 21, 2012 11:42 AM in response to GoodUser

Thank you all for your wonderful help and advise.

You wont believe what was the problem.

It turned out that, after consulting Apple Express Support (US$29.99), the iPhone should never be connected to computer using USB 3.0 port. iPhone 4 can only handle USB 2.1 or older ports. I suspect the iPhone 4S is the same.

Once I moved the connection to a USB 2.1 port, the process of getting the iPhone recognized by iTunes and by Windows 7 started and completed correctly. The iPhone got out of the lock jam, unfroze and reset itself. iTunes correctly reloaded the firmware, the new iOS 5.1.1, and restored all my data from the backup. The process was almost automatic. Now, the iPhone is working beautifully.

The USB 3.0 problem is not mentioned in any of the support help files. It cost me US$29.99 to find out about Apple's problem.

May 21, 2012 3:16 PM in response to GoodUser

Here is how to solve the problem step by step:

You should connect your iPhone to USB 2.1 port or older. If you are connecting your iPhone to the computer using a USB 3.0 port, disconnect it immediately. iPhones will lock up if you try to update your phone while it is connected through a USB 3.0 port.

1. Disconnect the iPhone from the computer
  2. Go to Device Manager and find the connected USB port. Click the mouse right button and update the driver
  3. Shut the iPhone by pressing the sleep button and the home button concurrently for some time
  4. Move the USB cable to a USB 2.1 port or older without the iPhone.
  5. Restart iTunes.
  6. Connect the iPhone
  7. Your computer should recognize the phone and reloads the correct USB 2.1 driver (Apple Mobile Device)
  8. Then iTunes should recognize the iPhone and starts reloading the firmware.
  9. When that is complete it may ask if you wish to restore, naturally you say YES
  10. iTunes will restore the iOS
  11. Using iTunes, restore the latest backup to get your data back.
  12. When all of the above is completed. Start enjoying your iPhone.
  13. If the above does not work. Throw your iPhone out of the window and get a replacement Android phone.

iPhone froze during iOS 5.1 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.