Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

home network set up

I don't mean to be an idiot, but with my home network, I certainly am.

I have an airport extreme, 2 apple pcs, and cable tv and internet service.

I used to be able to set up a wireless network, with the apple desktop as the main one, but I can't remember how I did it, in which order I plugged what wires or plugs in to which outlets, and how to include my printer in the network. Any help anyone could provide is greatly appreciated.

ibook, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on May 19, 2012 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2012 6:31 PM

The basic wiring configuration would be:

1. Internet coax cable from the wall to the Internet modem.
  2. Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN (circle-of-dots) port on the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn).
  3. (For wired client) Ethernet cable from each client to the LAN (opposing arrows) port on the AEBSn.
  4. (For wireless clients) Wireless connection between the client and the AEBSn.

For specific help on any of your network clients, please provide make & model for any you need to connect and which connection method (Ethernet, wireless, USB, etc.) required.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2012 6:31 PM in response to Bonnie Grenier

The basic wiring configuration would be:

1. Internet coax cable from the wall to the Internet modem.
  2. Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN (circle-of-dots) port on the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn).
  3. (For wired client) Ethernet cable from each client to the LAN (opposing arrows) port on the AEBSn.
  4. (For wireless clients) Wireless connection between the client and the AEBSn.

For specific help on any of your network clients, please provide make & model for any you need to connect and which connection method (Ethernet, wireless, USB, etc.) required.

home network set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.