Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Database won't open!

For some reason my hard drive went off line for a second and then came back up and I got the Device Removed prompt on my screen but I didn't touch the hard drive or remove the cable connecting it to my laptop anyway, now my Aperture library will not open. I tried holding down CMD and Option while opening Aperture and tried to Repair database which did nothing, I also tried to Rebuild Database which did nothing. Anything else I can try? I do have a back up but not of my most recent stuff.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.33 Dual Core; 1st Generation

Posted on May 19, 2012 7:59 PM

7 replies

May 20, 2012 11:12 AM in response to DVX100Shooter

First have you powered everything off and then back on and rebooted since the original incident? if not do that first.

You;re second post is confusing, you started a rebuild but you don't know if it finished? If you're getting the rebuild interrupted message it's most likely that the rebuild didn't finish. Stopping a rebuild in the middle is never a good thing and can easily make a bad situation worst. Before trying it again backup the library then you'll need to let it run, possibly overnight depending on the size of the library.

If the rebuild finishes and you still have problems try moving the plist file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.aperture.plist to the desktop and re-running Aperture.

Another thing you can try is to start Aperture while holding the shift key to defer preview generation. If you have a corrupt image file in the library that should help.

Both the plist and preview deferral are shown in Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Finally make sure Aperture is running ok. Start Aperture while holding down the option key. That will bring up the library choice window. Create a new library and let Aperture run on it.

I'd hold off on trying to manually rebuild the library just yet.

Aperture Database won't open!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.