Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash Player not working, help i am not a geek or techie.....!!

I have a MAC OSX 10.5.8, after the recent software update my flash player no longer works.

I have tried to download the most recent version which i cannot, i have tried to download Google Chrome which i cannot also download. It was suggested that i de-install the flash player & i would then be able to upload the latest version, this hasn;t worked.

So i am now left with nothing, i cannot watch BBC IPlayer of any videos which i frankly useless & not why i bought an Apple MAC.

I am no expert so in simple language does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how i can get around this issue, should i update my software to Lion?

Many thanks

Neil

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 19, 2012 11:42 PM

8 replies

May 20, 2012 7:37 AM in response to neil1972

If you're on 10.5.8 and you applied the latest security update, it would have moved the Flash player plugin to disabled plugins. If it's there, you can just drag it back out into the main area of plugins. Be careful where you use Flash. That version of Flash was disabled because it wasn't secure; there are no "secure" versions of Flash for 10.5.

Depending on the version of Safari, get ClickToPlugin, or ClickToFlash, which will set a placeholder for Flash content. You only click on it when you are visiting a site you know absolutely to be trusted. I suppose BBC would fall into that category.

Look in /Library/Internet Plugins. That's the second level Library, not the Library in your home folder and not /System/Library.

May 20, 2012 8:29 AM in response to neil1972

Chrome isn't going to work as it's auto-updates Flash and there is no Flash version for 10.5

Safari now disables older versions of Flash

You can use Firefox and re-anable the 10.5 compatible version of Flash, however you must also install the NoScript Add-on for Firefox.

NoScript will disable Flash as you surf the web so it's not on all the time, you click the Temporarily Allow All and the Flash button on content to see it once you have trusted the site not to compromise your machine.

It's really a shame, 10.6% of Mac users are still on 10.5 and Apple, until just recently because of the 600,000 Mac strong Flashflake botnet, hasn't paid any attention to that large portion of it's user base since July 2011.

I guess Apple realized if a large portion of those 600,000 people were on 10.5, and come to realize their machines were compromized because of Apple's negligence in issuing security updates promply, that would affect their decision to buy a new Mac again.

The habit of Apple ignoring older operating systems also extends to third party software, like Flash, third party browsers and others who also need to have Apple correct their software mistakes in OS X.

So the reason there is no secure 10.5 Flash version is because Apple previously ignored 10.5, so Adobe and others followed along, it was only upon the Flashflake botnet that Apple then dragged 10.5 off the shelf and fixed it.

Ignoring security and stability updates for operating systems still in major circulation was a bad choice on the part of Apple, something I hope from now on they correct.

Harden your Mac against malware attacks

Flash Player not working, help i am not a geek or techie.....!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.