Skip navigation

Master files permissions when importing to Aperture

345 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2012 11:04 AM by John Caradimas RSS
John Caradimas Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 20, 2012 4:09 AM

I am using the latest version of Aperture and just noticed that when my pictures are imported into my home directory structure (~/Pictures/Year 2012/May/whatever) (I am using referenced masters) the permissions of the raw files (NEF) are rwxrwxrwx@.

Isn't that somewhat dangerous? I mean I do not like to have any world writeable and executable files on my system. Am I crazy or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to change the file permissions, when importing (read: automatically) to rwxrw_ _ _ _? I hate to need to remember to do it manually every time I import some pictures to my system.

Any advise will be welcome.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,890 points)

How are you importiing? What version of the OS? What version of Aperture?

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,890 points)

Right the Aperture import just uses the permissions the files have on the card, so what you saw was normal.

As for your concern, in OS X your home folder is pretty well locked up, No one can get to your Pictures folder so they can't se what's in it. Having the files world readable in this case really isn't much of a problem.

I'm surprised that setting Others to no access left the read bit on, never really checked that out. If that is the case (and I have no reason to doubt  you) and this is that important to you you could chmod the files from the terminal. With a combination of Applescript and Shell script you could be able to automate the process fairly easily.

regards

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.