Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud contacts not syncing

Sometimes works, sometimes not. IS there a way to force sync them? My ipad currently shows 335 contacts, and my Mac Lion, and iphone show 79.

I have a ton of data on the ipad that I want to access from all devices. Wierdly enough, SOMETIME the transfer occurs, sometimes not. This morning I entered a new contact on the iPad, and it instantly appeared on the Mac and iphone. So why don't the other 280 or so do that!??

AARRGGHH iClound!!!

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 20, 2012 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2012 1:39 PM

First check that all your settings are correct, that contact syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the contacts you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud contacts will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your contacts are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking contact syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling contact syncing.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2012 1:39 PM in response to Brian Findlay

First check that all your settings are correct, that contact syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the contacts you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud contacts will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your contacts are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking contact syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling contact syncing.

May 21, 2012 6:21 AM in response to Brian Findlay

Early on I had a device that refused to cooperate. My solution was to first verify that iCloud had all the correct information. It did, thankfully. On that single device that wasn't syncing properly I deleted the iCloud account and restarted the device. Having restarted it, I added my iCloud account to it and it downloaded everything. I then tried syncing an edit from the device to the cloud and that worked too.

Jun 29, 2012 6:59 PM in response to dwb

I just had to reset my phone completely because my home button stopped working. The reset fixed the problem but my Address Book did not sync with icloud. (My iCal did). I followed DWB's advice and did exactly as he said and it worked perfectly. I also tested it by editing a contact on my Macbook and it instantly synced with my iPhone. THANK YOU. It was simple and saved me much aggravation.

Sep 20, 2012 2:43 AM in response to Brian Findlay

If you are having contacts somewhere (icloud.com, mac address, backup) you will be fine!

Restoring them and updating to icloud.com will fix half problem.

Important, login to icloud.com to make sure the contacts are there!

Other half and the main solution is clash between new separate settings in iOS 6 for icloud (above mail, contacts, calendars) and mail settings with icould account. Here are the steps:

1. Delete first icloud account in mail settings (if you have all the contacts in icloud.com erase them from iphone)

2. Delete the separate main icloud account

3. Restart iPhone (just in case, but might not be necessary)

4. Enter the user name and pass in the main icloud account

5. You should have now synced all the contacts from your icloud.com

This worked for me!

😉

Dec 18, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Brian Findlay

I had a similar question: How do I force contacts to sync. Brian Findlay asked that in his original query, but I don't see an answer that addresses that head on. The answers in this thread address how do you get sync to happen at all (i.e. what might interfere with the function of sync), but do not address the question of how to force a sync.

For that reason, I find the answers in this thread less than complete (at least from my perspective). You've helped with the first part of his question (why don't his contacts sync), but not the second (how do you force a sync?).

I'll put it in my own terms: My contacts sync eventually, but not quickly. I want a way to force them to sync on demand. It seems to me that deleting and re-synching, and other such measures are way too extreme - yes they work, but that's not something you want to do every day ... and I really don't want to wait for the contacts to drift in either.

Many apps (mail, OneNote, Facebook, etc.) have ways to manually force a sync via a simple action in the app. I don't see that for Contacts, nor for iCloud connected services in general, the discussion in this thread not withstanding.

I know Contacts sync works between my various devices - I just don't know how to force it to happen more quickly (something simple, like pulling the screen down as you do in mail).

I want a simple way to FORCE a sync to happen now. Sync happens eventually, but at the moment, I don't know how to manually initiate it.

BTW, I use an iPhone 6, iPad Air, and Mac Pro, all up to the latest software rev.

iCloud contacts not syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.