Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor showing changing yellow bands and patches

I just noticed tonight that my monitor is showing yellow bands and patches which change as I work around with things. Is this a sign of impending doom for my G5 Powermac?

The spec for the machine is:

Model Name:Power Mac G5
Model Identifier:PowerMac7,3
Processor Name:PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Processor Speed:2.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs:2
L2 Cache (per CPU):512 KB
Memory:8 GB
Bus Speed:1.25 GHz
Chipset Model:ATY,RV360
Type:Display
Bus:AGP
Slot:SLOT-1
VRAM (Total):128 MB
Vendor:ATI (0x1002)
Device ID:0x4152
Revision ID:0x0000
ROM Revision:113-A13602-121

Displays:

Apple Cinema Display:

Resolution:1680 x 1050
Depth:32-Bit Color
Core Image:Hardware Accelerated
Main Display:Yes
Mirror:Off
Online:Yes
Quartz Extreme:Supported
Rotation:Supported

Anyone any insight as to why this is happening?

Power Mac G5 (June 2004), Mac OS X (10.5.8), 30Gb iPod Video + 20Gb 1st Generation ipod still working well!

Posted on May 20, 2012 3:34 PM

11 replies

May 20, 2012 4:10 PM in response to Anthony ÓDoibhailein

What you describe certainly could be a failing graphics card.

The age of the Radeon 9600 XT (your graphics card) is starting to show, with failures becoming more and more frequently reported.

The heat from use degrades thermal compound, which, in turn, doesn't allow for the best cooling of the GPU.

This continual overheated condition eventually destroys componenets, resulting in visual anomalies, and finally, a black screen.

If you still have normal graphics for some time before the machine warms up, one might consider replacing the thermal compound on the card.

Similar, though a different heatsink, the process of doing so follows:

16196A0F-952B-47ED-A9F9-91F7B0ECA431.html

You should also try reseating the graphics card and reconnecting the monitor cables.

If the visual anomaliies occur from startup, start shopping eBay for used, Mac G5 compatible graphics cards.

I have listed all possible options here:

4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D37942BEE.html

May 22, 2012 3:30 AM in response to japamac

Nothing as extreme as any of those. Its really marginal. I reckon it could be in the areas where the shadows are generated by each window that there is the artifacts appearing.

I've woken today to find no sign of the artifacts either. Maybe the machine was just feeling like it needed some attention!

I'll add the other card anyway and see if I notice any great difference in performance as it is a better card than the one I have.

Again if I have any further news I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

May 22, 2012 4:01 AM in response to Anthony ÓDoibhailein

It could be age and heat related VRAM issues that you have detected early.

The card is likely a candidate for refreshing thethermal compound on the GPU and adding VRAM heatsinks.

Speaking of which, after you have tested the X800XT to confirm function, you might consider protecting your investment with a refresh of the thermal compound.

The R420 GPU will appreciate it.

For the small price of a 4g. tube of Arctic Cooling MX-4 compound, you can increase cooling efficiency and be sure that the over 5 year old ineffective 2-4 year paste is replaced with a product that will last at least 8 years.

The tutorial that I did for the Radeon 9800 XT is pretty much the same as and should suffice for the X800XT:

AF6A8D44-7864-4F5A-A45A-DB56A8663B45.html

Monitor showing changing yellow bands and patches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.