Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting Up Server For First Time?

Hi,

Two days ago I bought Lion Server, having no experience with server software at all. I have two main goals with Lion Server, but I have no experience on how to set up my server. First of all I would like to create a file sharing service between my three computers: two MacBook Pros and a Sony Viao. I want to be able to access each computer's documents and transfer them through the server locally. Secondly I would like to set up a website that I can access files from on the go--not from my home network, if for example, I am at Starbucks 🙂. I don't know if this would require additional investment in a VeriSign Certificate. I run a small property management business with four employees, but I use all three computers, so I will have complete controll over them. The three computers can have equal access to the server. I do not have any iOS devices (such as an iPad) that need access to the server.

I want to keep the server simple and easy to use, nothing fancy here. If someone could walk me through every step, I would be very very happy.

Finally I would like to admit that "I" don't actually run the business. My dad does. I'm 16 and he wants me to step up the server for him, but OS X Lion Server is one Apple software piece I don't have experience with.

Thank You Very Much for all advice you can give me, because trust me, I wouldn't want to tell him he bought $50 software for nothing!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 20, 2012 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2012 3:52 PM

For a quick and dirty description, check this out. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-configure-lion-server.html

You will indeed need to purchase an ssl certificate if you're looking to connect to your server securely. Also, something you haven't mentioned, you'll need to purchase a domain name if you want to be able to type something like example.com and be able to reach your website.

There's lots of websites that will do this for your. Just google "purchase domain name" and pick one of the sites that comes up. You'll certainly need to do this before you try to set up your sever as one of the first things you have to do is enter in your desired domain name. If you set it up with a domain name that belongs to someone else, then you'll have to start from scratch all over again.

-Graham

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2012 3:52 PM in response to FireStormBravo

For a quick and dirty description, check this out. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-configure-lion-server.html

You will indeed need to purchase an ssl certificate if you're looking to connect to your server securely. Also, something you haven't mentioned, you'll need to purchase a domain name if you want to be able to type something like example.com and be able to reach your website.

There's lots of websites that will do this for your. Just google "purchase domain name" and pick one of the sites that comes up. You'll certainly need to do this before you try to set up your sever as one of the first things you have to do is enter in your desired domain name. If you set it up with a domain name that belongs to someone else, then you'll have to start from scratch all over again.

-Graham

May 20, 2012 5:53 PM in response to gracoat

I enabled a server.hostname.private name and turned off VPN. When I try to access my server with Google Chrome I get 403 Forbidden (Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/0.9.8r DAV/2 Server at server.drewhumphrey.private Port 443). All I want to do is to be able to access my files on my Mac from another Mac. Should I be using an internet browser for this? I don't understand how to enable files sharing or why I am getting 403 Forbidden errors when I have made myself a user of the server.

Jun 9, 2012 5:47 PM in response to FireStormBravo

You do not need to purchase a certificate if you are just using it "all in the family" so to speak. Properly setup it will generate a selfsigned certificate and you can point all service to that cert. Client connections will report the certificate is bad but you know it is good since you are connecting to your server. Just make sure it has your server name and make sure to save the cert. The only reason you would want to purchase a certificate is if the public will be accessing the server.

If you are trying to access files from inside the LAN you use Go>Connect to Server. If you are trying from outside the LAN you must use VPN.

Setting Up Server For First Time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.