Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion nfs vers=4 client hangs after writing to Linux nfs server

I have a Fedora 14 Linux server with nfsv4 setup, since that's what I use for all my nfs clients.

I tried setting up nfsv4 client from OSX Lion 10.7.3 and 10.7.4 but somehow I get the following problem:

Whenever copying a file (tried about 10MB) to nfs mounted directory from command line, the cp command just hangs. I cannot kill it using Ctrl-C. If I open another terminal and try to access the mounted directory from there, that also hangs. Any command that accesses the mounted directory (df, ls, etc.) all hang. The only solution is to shutdown the machine forcefully.

When I look at the server, I can see that the file has been fully copied. It looks like some protocol negotiation after the file write is done is somehow stuck.

I tried bunch of mount_nfs options like async, rsize/wsize with various sizes, dirplus, nolocks (actually this gives an error), etc., but none of them helps.

My nfsv4 server options are

(rw,insecure,no_subtree_check,nohide,no_root_squash)

For now, I'm using fuse4x and sshfs installed from macport, but this is limiting since I can't mount to any mount point unless I own the directory (which means only inside my home directory), and the files are not synchronized across mounts with other clients.

Would netatalk 2.2.2 file server be of help? I only seem to hear bad stories about netatalk, so I'm a little hesitant.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 20, 2012 8:41 PM

5 replies

May 21, 2012 6:43 PM in response to marchede

How are you doing the mount on the Mac side? Are you using the command line or the Finder? Do you have any non-default options on the client side?

NFS is an older protocol designed for enterprise networks where users share the same set of uids/gids on all systems. Typically, root does all the mounting and then handles all the permissions. On a modern desktop, things are usually more complicated than that. The standard Linux solution of doing everything as root and ignoring everything is unlikely to work. You could either do it the traditional UNIX way with root and properly mapped users, or do it the pure client way in userland with properly mapped users. My suspicion is that something else is going on since you want to mount outside of your home directory. That can be done, but only if all the permissions are done properly.

Lion nfs vers=4 client hangs after writing to Linux nfs server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.