Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Magic Move with Custom Shape Masks

Hi,

I am experimenting with the Magic Move transition and using custom shapes as masks in Keynote '09. It seems that what I am trying to achieve is not possible though. I have succeeded in creating custom shapes, and dragging images to them so that they become masks, but it would then appear that the only transformations that I can make to the mask/image are rotation and proportional resizing. I would like to be able to resize each axis of the mask/image separately. As soon as I do this though, the Magic Move transition breaks. Before the custom shapes are converted to masks, it is possible to resize each axis independently and preserve Magic Move, but not once they are converted to masks, which seems a little strange.

I am just wanting to check that I have reached the limits of what Keynote '09 can do, or whether there is a method/workaround to achieve the effect I am looking for.

Thanks,

Nick

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM

Posted on May 21, 2012 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2012 8:56 AM

Nick,

If I understand you correctly you want to have custom shapes that are being used as image masks transition via magic move and at the same time change their shape and still be masks. Unfortunately you have reached the end of Keynotes capabilities.

Magic move works with images and shapes that keep their basic shape. But, once you move the shape edges to form a different shape, the link is lost and the transition reverts to dissolve vice a move.

In most cases you can achieve close to what you want by breaking up the transition into two parts:

First do the magic move without altering the shape, then clone the slide and on the clone revise the shape to your final arrangement and apply a fast dissolve between the slides.

It isn't exactly what you want, but it close enough to move on to bigger things in your presentation.

Hope this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2012 8:56 AM in response to nick_harambee

Nick,

If I understand you correctly you want to have custom shapes that are being used as image masks transition via magic move and at the same time change their shape and still be masks. Unfortunately you have reached the end of Keynotes capabilities.

Magic move works with images and shapes that keep their basic shape. But, once you move the shape edges to form a different shape, the link is lost and the transition reverts to dissolve vice a move.

In most cases you can achieve close to what you want by breaking up the transition into two parts:

First do the magic move without altering the shape, then clone the slide and on the clone revise the shape to your final arrangement and apply a fast dissolve between the slides.

It isn't exactly what you want, but it close enough to move on to bigger things in your presentation.

Hope this helps.

May 22, 2012 2:04 AM in response to bwfromspring hill

Thanks. I had a feeling that I had reached the end of Keynote's capabilities. Because custom shapes can change shape on Magic Move it seems like it would be a small step to make this work for custom shapes as masks. I will leave Apple feedback.

Thanks also for the workaround. I'll look into that. For me, the aesthetics of keynote presentations is one of the bigger things! Which reminds me, I must attend to the content....

Nick

Using Magic Move with Custom Shape Masks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.