Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDFs will not Save or Print in Safari

Have recently started having an issue where when I open a PDF attachment from Safari, it will not allow me to print it or "save as". When I attempt to print, the window comes up, shows a blank preview in landscape mode. When I attempt to "save as" it states The document “201205210502092.pdf” could not be exported as “201205210502092”. and nothing saves. It used to work great every time, now, it does not work at all. Help...this is so frusterating.

Posted on May 21, 2012 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2012 12:19 PM

Hi...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache

If that didn't help, back to the menu bar, click Safari > Reset Safari. Select the top 5 boxes, click Reset.

If that didn't help, open the Finder. From the menu bar top of your screen click Go > Go to Folder

Type this exactly as you see it here:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go

Move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2012 12:19 PM in response to JRVIGER

Hi...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Empty Cache

If that didn't help, back to the menu bar, click Safari > Reset Safari. Select the top 5 boxes, click Reset.

If that didn't help, open the Finder. From the menu bar top of your screen click Go > Go to Folder

Type this exactly as you see it here:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go

Move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

May 21, 2012 1:35 PM in response to JRVIGER

Back up all data.

Quit Safari. In the Finder, select Go ▹ Go to Folder... from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Copy the line of text below into the box that opens, and press return:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then launch Safari and test.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.

May 26, 2012 11:07 AM in response to JRVIGER

I was having same PDF issues and found a really easy fix right under my nose...

A grey bar appears when you hover mouse near bottom of page - it offers printing, saving etc. or when you click the little Adobe logo on the far right of the grey bar it opens the pdf with all kinds of menus to do everything you like. I was excited to discover this after weeks of blank pdf's.

I hope it works for you too.User uploaded file

Jun 4, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Newt4

Thank you, from me, too.

It used to be that, on Safari with a web page open, one could #p to print or select print or preview the pdf and then print, from the Safari menu. That has changed, and you've found the solution.

Why does Apple insist on changing things and forcing us to spend time searching for the answers to things we used to do before? It's very frustrating.

Thank you for answering the question.

May 19, 2014 10:25 AM in response to JRVIGER

The problem is Adobe Reader. A very few web sites require Adobe Reader to display .pdf files.

When the Adobe Reader plugin is enabled in Safari, Print from the Safari menu doesn't always work.

Right-click on the page. You will see another Print line. This does work.

The problem with removing AdobePDFViewer.plugin is that if you are on a page where one of those idiot web page designers insists on the Adobe plugin and won't accept Preview, you won't see the page. So remove AdobePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin.

Some web sites work better with those plugins removed. Whem they are gone, Raight-click Print is gone, too.

This is the same issue in some builds of FireFox. Chrome does not have this issue.

May 19, 2014 10:30 AM in response to JayMiller3

>Why does Apple insist on changing things and forcing us to spend time searching for the answers to things we used to do before? It's very frustrating<

Because it is not an Apple issue. This problem was caused by Adobe and a few web designers using outdated tools. Unfortunately, the State of California is among those.

Either use Chrome or see if removing AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin and AdobePDFViewer.plugin does the trick.

PDFs will not Save or Print in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.