Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What iOS Developer Program Should we choose.

Hello, this is my first question here,

I work in a development enterprise, and we want develop iOS Applications ONLY for our clients.

We have our Windows Based Desktop Application; and we want to give iPhone support to our clients, I think this is called B2B (Business to business) Applications. We don't want the app appears in the App Store, we need the app private, because we only want give acces for the app to our clients, and maybe we also need the work with the VPP (Volume Purchase Program).

Then, what iOS Developer Program should we choose?

Posted on May 21, 2012 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2012 9:21 AM

Volume Purchase/B2B/Bulk involves the App Store.

Enterprise is for employees only.

There is no program you can use just for you and your clients.

16 replies

May 21, 2012 9:30 AM in response to mserra

Of course it doesn't make sense....Apple didn't build a worldwide distribution ecosystem and store just so people could use it on a minor level, sorry.

I'd recommend making a modern HTML5 website - this will give you iOS and Android support out of the box and you can cater to as many or as few clients/users as you like.

May 21, 2012 9:46 AM in response to mserra

The only difference between that and the one to it's left is how you register. Otherwise, they are the same program. There are only individual (app store), enterprise (employees) and edu (teachers/students).

Choosing an iOS Developer Program / Which Developer Program is for you?

So yes, for the third time, you can't just use Apple's worldwide investment in app distribution for your own rewards. That's how it's been since 2008, so I find it incredible that there are still people out there unfamiliar with the App Store 🙂

May 21, 2012 2:36 PM in response to K T

I didn't asked nothing or I didn't referred nothing about the App Store in no moment. I only did a question for the enterprise license. I know there are lots of companies that work developing Apps for their clients, all in a private context. I only asked what developer program choose.

Thanks.

May 22, 2012 11:26 AM in response to mserra

Are you planning on selling to your clients or is it a free distribution?

If you are selling, then I *think* your only real choice is to put it on the App Store but put some sort of authentication mechanism in place so that only the clients employees can use it - although I'm not sure how you/Apple would handle non-clients purchasing the application - I think you'd probably need to discuss with Apple on this.

If you are distributing it free to your clients, then I *think* each of your clients would need to be enrolled in the Enterprise program, and then sign the application with their distribution certificate. They would then also be responsible for distributing it their employees ONLY (see the terms of the Enterprise licence for more details).

If you want to sell the apps to your clients but not go via the App Store - you don't have that option I'm afraid.

May 23, 2012 12:35 AM in response to AndyQua

@AndyQua

1) I don't know if we are gonna selling it to our clients, but maybe we would do payments apart of App Store. Could we distribute it 'freely' but after recibing payments from our clients? This personalized payment method would function with B) option that you are proposing to me?

2) If we use option B); you said our clients would need to be enrolled in the Enterprise program. But what about us, we should be enrolled in the same Enterprise program, or we would need to be enrolled in the Developer Standart Company?

Thanks.

May 23, 2012 1:07 AM in response to mserra

I couldn't comment on point 1.

For point 2 it would depend on how your are distributing - if binary only, you'd need to added to their program as you need to set bundle ids correctly for them to resign. If you are distributing in source code (so the client builds and releases the app) you'd may just need the dev program to dev and test you app against but depends on how you are doing internal testing).

May 23, 2012 2:52 AM in response to AndyQua

@AndyQua

We want develop one solution application, and then, distribute it to our different clients,(same application), but i think without source code, in 'binary', ipa file or whatever.

I'm still confused about what kind of license we should choose if we do all that before mentioned. If we add to their program, we should choose, for our development, the Standart Company Program, and then add our team to their program, or we should choose the Enterprise Program, and add our team to their program?

(Our enterprise) ios developer enterprise program ->(Add our team)-> ios developer enterprise program (Our customer)

(Our enterprise) ios developer standart company program ->(Add our team)-> ios developer enterprise program (Our customer)

What we should choose?

Thank you so much!

May 23, 2012 9:43 AM in response to mserra

hey was reading through it and um

Let me put it like this:

You do not need a iOS subscription to trade apps between clients if you do not intend to distribute them on the App Store.

this is all you do

- Buy Mac Computer

- Download xCode

- Make Apps

- Then distribute privately via email or an online app sharing tool.

I would assume that you would know the clients in person so you could just load the apps for them onto thier devices and the collect the money they owe after everything works well

Just to clarify for you:

The paid iOS subscription is to distribuate apps on the App Store.

Apple does not handle private dealings thats all on you.

hope this helps you!

best of luck

May 23, 2012 10:20 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Have I done it myself? No, because I distribute through the App Store

Do I know of people who have? Yes

Actually Apple has great forums in XCode on how to trade and email apps.

If i was to distribuate privetly I would create the project, find the project in Finder make a duplicate of it, copy to flash drive, take to client who has Mac with XCode and let them distribute among the employees. If you are concerned about them stealing the project I would then Just create a server were the client could download the app to their computer and then distribute among employees.

It just depends on how you want to manage your clientel.

What iOS Developer Program Should we choose.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.