Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility repairs permissions; 1 hour later they're un-repaired again.

(March 2009 24" iMac. Lion 10.7.3)

I repair permissions on Macitosh HD (boot volume) every-other week. I've noticed that the same permissions seem to need repair each time. Here are the last seven lines from the Disk Utility window from the May 19 run:

User uploaded file

One hour later, I repeated the operation. Here are the last seven lines:

User uploaded fileI might be overly sensitive, but I detect certain similarities between these results. In fact, it looks like Disk Utility repairs exactly the same permissions every time and those permissions are corrupted shortly after they are repaired.

What's going on here? 😕 Should I be alarmed? 😮 Or should I panic?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on May 21, 2012 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2012 1:05 PM

Since the lines you refer to were never posted we can't comment? I suspect you are simply seeing messages, not errors, relating to changes in items to aliases. These are innocuous, can be ignored, and will be repeated every time you repair permissions. They may relate to ARD and/or Java installations.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2012 1:05 PM in response to Lightning George

Since the lines you refer to were never posted we can't comment? I suspect you are simply seeing messages, not errors, relating to changes in items to aliases. These are innocuous, can be ignored, and will be repeated every time you repair permissions. They may relate to ARD and/or Java installations.

May 21, 2012 2:26 PM in response to Lightning George

I'd like to delete this post (if I knew how). There are several other threads on this topic, and other contributors report exactly what I observe. It turns out it's a harmless artifact of upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6 to 10.7, rather than doing a clean install of Lion. This article is reassuring: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

I shoulda searched more thoroughly before posting.

Disk Utility repairs permissions; 1 hour later they're un-repaired again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.