Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I attach an electric drum kit to an iPad 2 to use garage band?

Hi guys,

I have recently discovered garge band on iPad 2 and really do think there's is heaps of potential with it! However I have come stuck with a few things... I want to use my Yamaha DTXplorer as a drum kit and have heard that this is possible with the right tools, problem is this is all new to me and I haven't got a clue how to do it...

My question is, is it possible to do this with the iPad 2 and with my Yamaha DTXplorer, and if so what do I need / how do I do it? Also what are the costs involved with doing this?

Thanks guys! :)

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 21, 2012 1:36 PM

4 replies

May 10, 2013 9:36 AM in response to dude_man1990

Here's what I did. Alternative products and apps may be available but this worked for me 🙂

Purchaces:

• iRig Midi (physical device)
  • MidiBridge (app)

Configuration:

• Connect the midi out of the Yamaha DTXplorer to the midi in of the iRig Midi
  • Connect the iRig Midi to your iPad
  • Now, here's the bit that made me think it was worth writing this post. The DTXplorer doesn't support custom midi mapping and it uses different midi notes than those used by GarageBand for iPad. To get around this you need to remap the incomming midi on the iPad using an app such as MidiBridge.
  • In MidiBridge, connect the iRig input to the MidiBridge output
  • Select the config icon on the iRig input and apply the Note Mapper. Here is what you need to remap to get things working
    • Bass Drum: A0 (33) -> C1 (36)
    • Low Tom: G1 (43) -> F1 (41)
    • Mid Tom: B1 (47) -> A1 (45)
    • Snare Drum: G0 (31) -> D1 (38)
  • The rest are mapped properly by default
  • In MidiBridge, you might want to save the configuration
  • Open up GarageBand and drum away!

Jun 1, 2013 11:44 AM in response to dude_man1990

Hey,

I actually treated myself to the io dock as I plan to do some recording over the summer, have yet to get this all connected and try it but I cant see any reason as to why this wont work! I dont suppose you have any recommendations on recording apps? I have I intended to use garageband for this purpose but I dont think it will really cut the mustard. I want to be able to e-mail the song to myself afterward, or at least be able to extract it and be able yo play with it on a computer afterward (just doing things like burning onto a CD.)

I have heard of a few but I honestly dont know where to start! Thanks for your help with this again. It's been really hard finding this information and ive been waiting for a response for over a year!! Haha :)

Thanks!

How do I attach an electric drum kit to an iPad 2 to use garage band?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.