Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro maximun RAM

How much RAM can I use in my MAc Pro?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 21, 2012 6:37 PM

18 replies

May 21, 2012 7:16 PM in response to Kappy

Bioinformatics,..DNA sequence analysis,.... in essence making a several hundred million pieces puzzle.

Imagine you take the all the books of the Bible,... ramdonly break all sentences in 2-3 contigous words,... put all of them in a bag mix well and now try to reconstruct the original without looking at a reference, but just looking at the reference.

May 21, 2012 8:09 PM in response to grassSD

Ok, I got it, I had it blocked the first time

*Apple officially supports 32 GB of RAM in this model, but site sponsor OWC first discovered that it is capable of using 64 GB of RAM when booting MacOS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" in 64-bit mode. Later, OWC bumped this unofficial maximum RAM to 96 GB running Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7, and yet again to 128 GB, but only when running a 64-bit version of Windows XP or later or Linux. Mac OS X only can support 96 GB of RAM.

There you go 128GB, would make for a **** of a fast machine with a RAM disk. 😝

http://blog.macsales.com/13028-owc-announces-industry%E2%80%99s-first-128gb-memo ry-upgrade-kit-for-2009-to-current-apple-mac-pro-offers-double-the-ram-versus-fa ctory-maximum-offered

mac pro maximun RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.