Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to access my time capsule hard disk from my iPad or iPhone

I want to access my time capsule hard disk from my iPad or iPhone, some body know how to do that?

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen)

Posted on May 21, 2012 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2012 8:00 PM

You will need an App like FileBrowser on the iPad or iPhone. More details here:

App Store - FileBrowser - Access files on remote computers (and hard drives).

Note.....you can only access regular files this way. You will not be able to access Time Machine backups on the Time Capsule.

4 replies

Jun 3, 2012 6:55 PM in response to MauricioEl

That is not possible or extremely risky .. take your pick.. The TC only offers AFP to the internet. The ipad apps only connect with SMB.. ie to the LAN side of the TC.. so there in a nutshell you have it.. Even Apple don't use AFP on their idevices..

The only secure way to do it is with vpn. you will not be able to do it with TC as no vpn server. no ftp or http or anything else btw.

You can forward SMB using a strange port.. but this opens your TC to the world.. you are still connecting to LAN side.. and SMB is the most searched for protocol on the internet.. it is bound to be cracked at some point no matter what strange port you use.

Actually if you are not using dynamic DNS how are you accessing the TC from WAN?? If you use iCloud BTMM, I am not sure if that is restricted to AFP. I also don't know if ipad can manage it.. but since the file app is not apple's idea of how to run ipad i kind of doubt it.

Jun 3, 2012 7:23 PM in response to LaPastenague

thank you...

1.- You right I'm using BTMM, option available in TC, easy fast way working very well...no need to know IP or fixed IP required...

2.- I think iCloud do the job to identify the machine on WAN to connect (just like dinamic DNS)...

3.- With the app called "Files connect" I can connect by means AFP protocol (iPhone and iPad) but I need to know the IP previously...so we are just one step to get AFP-->BTMM-->iCloud inside the same app to get the goal to the discussion.

cheers

Mauricio

I want to access my time capsule hard disk from my iPad or iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.