Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Breaking Magsafe Adapter

Hey folks!

I have been browsing the forums and noticed a trend of the magsafe adapters fraying and/or breaking.

I am experiencing the fraying issues but on the new "L" shaped adapter. The casing on the cable has split open and I had to put some duct tape on the cord just to make sure it didn't fray even more.

I was reading that there was a recall on the "T" shaped ones but nothing about this one.

Any advice?

(early 2011 MacBook Pro bought 14 months ago)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 21, 2012 8:25 PM

36 replies

May 21, 2012 9:18 PM in response to TheBodasity

Besides preparing your wallet for the worst and taking the victim to the Store with hope in the heart?

There was a thread awhile back where someone had the steel ring around the gold pins on the L-connector simply split apart from the barrel.

And I recall a non-forum article on how to repair a T-connector that frayed apart, but I can't find it now.

But realistically, these bricks are not built for repair.

May 21, 2012 9:19 PM in response to TheBodasity

maybe you should take that magsafe to apple store or reseller where you bought your macbook pro and get a replacement. But if the reseller or the apple store don't want to replace them, you can buy it for $69-$70. Don't push your macbook pro to be charged with broken magsafe, it might cause short-circuit that will fry your entire macbook pro and sure it will cost a lot to repair. better prevent than repair though..

Breaking Magsafe Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.