Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad screen unresponsive with boxes around icons????

OK so I was browsing some photos in my iPad (Current Gen) on the 500px photo app. The app became unresponsive and was missing buttoms normally there, so I clicked the home button and got to the home screen. Once I did this, I was unable to scroll between my home screens. Every time I touch the screen, a rectangular box appears the app nearest to where I am touching. If I touch an app, it will not open, I can barely get in to settings. I plugged in to itunes and did a restore but it did the same thing. I powered it off and on a few times and the same things happens. When I touch the slide to unlock, a rectangular box displays around the slide to unlock and it takes several swipes before responding. This rectanuglar box floats around and it takes 20 clicks to get in to settings. Any idea whats going on and why I cant fix this? I am running 5.1.1

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2012 11:53 PM

I can get in to the Settings Menu if I click on it 20 times, but once I am in there, I cannot scroll down to access Accessibility, it is at the bottom of the menu and I cant scroll down at all.

16 replies

Jan 2, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Diavonex

I was having the same problems with the rectangle boxes around the icons. I turned the ipad off and when I turned it back on I couldn't access the home screen to follow your instructions. The rectangle boxes appeared around each number when I try to enter my security code. I triple clicked the home button and it de-activated the voice-over option and all functions were restored to normal. I think I had inadvertently triple clicked the home bottom to activate the voice-over option to begin with.

May 22, 2012 12:06 AM in response to teamrusnac

If VoiceOver is on and you want to turn it off from the device instead of from iTunes, remember that a double-tap acts like a single tap and you need to use three fingers to scroll when VoiceOver is on:

1. Press Home.
  2. Tap Settings. Then double-tap Settings.
  3. Tap General. Then double-tap General.
  4. Use three fingers on the screen to scroll to Accessibility.
  5. Tap Accessibility. Then double-tap Accessibility.
  6. Tap VoiceOver. Then double-tap VoiceOver.
  7. Tap "On" next to VoiceOver. Then double-tap "On" to turn it off.

Mar 19, 2014 4:00 PM in response to Diavonex

I just wanted to say a belated thank you for your post here. I have spent two days trying to figure out what was wrong with my ipad. I have reset it several times, but restore only brought back the problem again. It worked fine when it was completely reset. I have no idea how VoiceOver got turned on, but this fix worked on my ipad 3 with ios x 7.1 today. This was the only fix I found about an ipad screen being unresponsive with those odd boxes around the icons. And teamrusnac, I am glad you posted about clicking multiple times - because I hadn't thought of that. And that helped also. Thanks again!

iPad screen unresponsive with boxes around icons????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.