Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't permanently remove icons from the dock!

After having some issues with chrome (huge cache) I decided to remove it. I also removed the shortcut/icon from the dock. Every time I restart the computer I have a question mark where Crome used to be. I zapped the PRAM, repaired permissions, even restarted and went trough the permission repair process at startup. I tried to install Chrome and uninstall through a3rd party uninstaller and get the same. It does not appear in my startup applications I have no other users registered. Terminal also starts up automatically at every startup (not in startup items). It is driving me up the wall! I even removed the desktop plist. What else can be done?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.4 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500G HD

Posted on May 22, 2012 2:08 AM

11 replies

May 22, 2012 2:14 AM in response to guye

You should be able to remove stuff out of the dock by dragging the icon out of the dock. The question mark for chrome appeared because you said you removed chrome. Now the dock icon, which is basically an alias (pointer) to the actual item had no where to point so a question mark is used to indicate this.

As for the lion automatic restarts. If you quit an app it shouldn't auto restart when you log back in. Also there the following:

Disable Mac OS X Lion Resume & App Window Restore Completely

May 22, 2012 2:38 AM in response to guye

Well com.apple.dock.plist in your Preferences is the plist that records what you have in the dock so see what happens if you move that to the desktop and log out and log back in.

The issue is that at every restart it re-appears. Even though I did all of the above after physically removing the icon from the dock.

As a question mark?

Mar 27, 2013 11:56 PM in response to guye

I'm having the same problem in the dock, AND in Mail app. If I change something it doesn't "stick"

Just upgraded to re installed all apps and upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Not sure how to fix this. I was unable to find the "com.apple.dock.plist" file in the preferences folder.

I did find a "com.apple.dockfixup.plist" but didn't touch it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance

mac mini 2.3 Ghz Core i5

8 gigs DDR3

OS X 10.8.3

Mar 28, 2013 9:16 PM in response to TildeBee

Bee

Thanks for taking time to help me.

I checked the Preferences setting as you suggested, and NO, it was not set as a "Login Item"

I seem to be having the same type of issue with different programs.

As mentioned before, when I remove an item from the DOCK, it will reappear the next time I start the program. Another type of problem I notice is in the finder window if I re organized items, for example, under "Favorites" it will keep the changes, but when I restart the computer they revert to their default order.

Also in the Mail app, when I customize the toolbar it will keep the changes for that session, but when I restart the computer it reverts to the default toolbar.

I multiple users, and at least one other user is experiencing the same type of issues, at least with the DOCK.

I recently wipe the hard drive and reinstalled Mac OS Lion and then upgraded to Mountain Lion.

I appreciate any insight you might have into this matter.

Mar 29, 2013 8:21 AM in response to Radiation Mac

Thank you for the suggestion, and the screen shot.

I am uanble to find the com.apple.dock.plist file you mentioned.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Would that also fix the problems I'm having with the other programs, including System Preferences?

As mentioned before, when I remove an item from the DOCK, it will reappear the next time I start the program. Another type of problem I notice is in the finder window if I re organized items, for example, under "Favorites" it will keep the changes, but when I restart the computer they revert to their default order.

Also in the Mail app, when I customize the toolbar it will keep the changes for that session, but when I restart the computer it reverts to the default toolbar.

System Pref is also doing this. I set up a keyboard shortcut for Dictation and on reboot it reverted to default shortcut, yet my shortcut was in the pulldown menu.

I multiple users, and at least one other user is experiencing the same type of issues, at least with the DOCK.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Apr 1, 2013 8:41 AM in response to microphony

OK, I found what I was doing wrong: the USER/Library is hidden

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-reveal-your-library-folder -in-lion-or-mountain-lion/

So that fixed the DOCK problem.

Great.

Now I'm still having similar problems with the FINDER window (customizing it, then it reverts after reboot)

AND

Mail app.

I deleted the com.apple.finder.plist but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas??

Thank you.

Apr 3, 2013 7:07 AM in response to Paldeng

Uggh!

I found the State Folder for the Finder and deleted it, but I'm still having the same problem.

The finder sidebar is not saving any customization.

But the really annoying thing is with Mail App

Mail is opening two windows everytime I open it AND it will not save any Toolbar customizations.

I used Disk Tool to repair premissions.

Any more idead??

I can't permanently remove icons from the dock!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.