Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Excel 2011 Losing Focus after typing first character in a cell

Has anyone else seen this - and more importantly - have an explanation - or even better a solution.

When working in Excel 2011 on Mac OS X - there are times when I click on a cell and begin to type contents for that cell - but after typing the first character the window loses focus - not the app - Excel is still the "active" app - but the worksheet in which I am typing is no longer "active" until I click on it again.

It does not happen every time - but often - especially after I have been editing Macros - although the issue affects cases where I have quit the VBA editor and the only open workbook does not contain any macros. So I don't have any reason to think that I am accidentally triggering a macro.

Also this has happened on two different systems - both 10.7 Macbook Pros with the same version of MS Office.

If I quit Excel and relaunch - it doesn't seem to come back - at least not right away - and I am not 100% sure at what point the behavior is triggered.

It has been driving me a bit crazy.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), iPhone 4s 64GB iPad 16GB

Posted on May 22, 2012 5:21 AM

5 replies

Microsoft Excel 2011 Losing Focus after typing first character in a cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.