Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to backup server - help!

I back up my laptop on a backup disk at work (with their permission). I connect to the network, click on my work Mac mini (1.66 Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8), and then click on the MiniStack backup drive to mount it on my desktop.

But recently I upgraded to Lion and now that's not working. I can see the mini in the Finder sidebar, but when I try to connect to it just says, "Connection failed" and doesn't give a reason. Any ideas why?

I would really appreciate any help you can give because I have not backed up for weeks now.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HD

Posted on May 22, 2012 6:33 AM

8 replies

May 22, 2012 3:09 PM in response to SECollins7

Is the back up disk a network attached storage disk? With Lion Apple changed some connection protocols and some NAS drives are not compatible with Lion. I had one and had to get a newer one because of this change.

Check with the manufacturer of the backup disk to see if it will work with Lion. If not you need to find another backup disk. If it is please tell us so more troubleshooting can be done. NAS manufacturers had to update their firmware in some cases so that could be an option.

JAy

Can't connect to backup server - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.