Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro board failure...

Since I bought my MBP exaclty 1 year ago + 15 days, I never liked it, because it's slowly and fails all the time.

For example when I close my Firefox with 30 open tabs, it usually takes more than 5 minutes.

Here are all the issues I deal with:

- Slowly environment (running any app);

- Never come back from sleep;

- Stops at the boot, blinking the power light and only come back after open the computer, with the back cover open;

- Freezes the S.O.;

- Umount external hard drives;

- So on...

But why does it works when back cover is opened?

I found out that it is a board failure, which probably strongly presses a board component and when I leave it open or I don't tightening the 2 most right screws, it works.

Here is the inside area affected image:

User uploaded file

Here is the outside area without the screws:

User uploaded file

Maybe this is the component affected, just because it is the most higher one if we consider it's height:

User uploaded file

Resuming, I saw thousands people facing some of those issues and maybe this is the cause, a botched motherboard.

After doing that, everything works fine, including the "sleeping" feature and the Firefox with the same 30 opened tabs closes in 5 seconds.

Here is my question: Apple, what can you do for us? My MBP has failure all the time and stopped to work exactly 3 days after the warranty finished.

Everybody facing some or all those issues can try taken off those two screws, but be carefull with your warranty.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:37 AM

16 replies

May 22, 2012 9:10 AM in response to eridani

This is the first I've ever heard of such a problem. Although it does sound like you have a problem, if loosening a couple screws can cause a difference in your machine's performance, that does not mean that this is a common problem. It definitely is not.

As to what Apple can do for you, only Apple can say, and you're not talking to Apple here. This is a user-to-user forum. You'll need to talk to an Apple tech. Note that Apple techs have been known to make exceptions and repair problems for free even out of warranty, but there are no guarantees at this point. To maximize your chances of a free repair, be very nice and friendly while also pointing out that you've been suffering with this problem for some time and only recently discovered the source. (I'm assuming that's the case, if I understood you correctly.)

May 22, 2012 9:42 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks Thomas for your reply and I know that it's not a common problem, but I always heard about it, board failure!

We know Apple follows this forum and that's why I posted that question!

I am suffering with this problem since I bought it and I thought it was a logic issue. I never tought it was a hardware failure, even with people saying it was! That's why I never sent it back to Apple, but 3 days after the warranty finished, it stopped to work! Only works well and turns on properly with the back cover opened!

I have a lot of other Apple products, but if Apple doesn't help me with this one, it will be the last one!

May 22, 2012 9:48 AM in response to eridani

We know Apple follows this forum and that's why I posted that question!

No, they don't, actually. Or, at least, they never answer questions in any kind of official capacity here. It's possible some of the people posting here may be Apple employees, but you will never know it if they are.

I have a lot of other Apple products, but if Apple doesn't help me with this one, it will be the last one!

That's exactly the attitude you will NOT want to display to the Apple techs, if you want to have any hope of getting a free repair.

May 22, 2012 10:07 AM in response to thomas_r.

It's possible some of the people posting here may be Apple employees, but you will never know it if they are.

I believe that Apple's policy is that employees who post here must use distinctive icons so that you CAN determine whether they are Apple employees.

That said, my observation is that Apple employees (with those special Avatars) essentially NEVER post here.

As Thomas has said, these are User-to-User forums, and Apple does not routinely read these forums. If you want a respone from Apple, you will need to contact them directly, either through an Apple Store or through AppleCare (national phone support).

Apple's goal is to have you a Happy Customer. If you are threatening to sue everybody, or you state up front that this is your last Apple product, you will never be a Happy Customer, so you will not get much help.

May 22, 2012 10:17 AM in response to eridani

Apple's goal is to have you a Happy Customer. If you are threatening to sue everybody, or you state up front that this is your last Apple product, you will never be a Happy Customer, so you will not get much help.

Hi Grant,

If this is the way Apple deal with this situation, they just forgot that if I stop working with their products, I can also influence hundreds of my employees and much more people to do the same. I never heard about an USA company which "threatens" the customers if they don't speak good things about it. Even here in Brazil it doesn't happen anymore!

May 22, 2012 10:24 AM in response to eridani

Grant is not speaking literally of some Apple policy, he is talking about the natural tendency of all tech support or customer service representatives to tune you out when you start ranting and making threats. Like telling us that you can influence hundreds of people not to buy Apple products. What do you expect to gain from such a statement, especially when directed at another user like yourself? When you show that kind of attitude here, we can only assume you are behaving similarly to Apple representatives, who are, being only human, not appreciative.

May 22, 2012 10:36 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas,

I didn't threatened anyone, I just said that it is happening and we also have some other people dealing with similar issues here. We have a technician who sent his Macbook last year to Apple and they just said that was a board failure and that there was no solution.

I posted it just because I know that there are many other people facing the same!

And if you "suppose" that Apple can "tune me out" because I'm trying to deal with the problem, I "suppose" I can't stop buying their products and also influence others. Those are just assumptions we both don't want!

I have almost all products from Apple, I have ipods, ipads, iphones and this MBP, what am I doing wrong?

Am I wrong just because I said I´ll never buy another MBP based on other people facing the same problem I have!? If the % seems to be bigger than usual, it's a racional thing to do, doesn't?

I'm just trying to solve it and I appreciate your help!

May 22, 2012 10:49 AM in response to eridani

Since I bought my MBP exaclty 1 year ago + 15 days, I never liked it, because it's slowly and fails all the time

I am suffering with this problem since I bought it and I thought it was a logic issue. I never tought it was a hardware failure, even with people saying it was! That's why I never sent it back to Apple, but 3 days after the warranty finished, it stopped to work!

While I'm sorry to hear about your problems, I'm not sure what you're expecting from Apple. You've indicated, twice, that you've had the problem since you purchased it. People had even suggested to you that it was a hardware failure, but you chose to not bring it in for service. So now, 15 days past your warranty period, you decide that these problems, that you've had all along, need to be taken care of? Had you brought you Mac in at any point during the warranty period, it would have been repaired for you under the warranty and you wouldn't have had to go this year + 15 days with these problems. It doesn't sound like you even gave Apple a chance to repair it for you... yet you're calling on them to do something about it.

May 22, 2012 11:06 AM in response to eridani

I'm starting to think this is an Apple employees forum!

Then go somewhere else, where people like to gripe about Apple unproductively. Otherwise, unless you actually have a question that other users can help you with, I suggest that this discussion end. It is currently in violation of the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use, which require that submissions here conform to the following rule (among others):

Post constructive comments and questions. Unless otherwise noted, your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer. Constructive feedback about product features is welcome as well. If your Submission contains the phrase "I'm sorry for the rant, but…" you are likely in violation of this policy.

May 22, 2012 11:10 AM in response to eridani

It is well known that these forums attract Users with problems. The thousands of user with no problems never post here. Even if you post twenty links, that does not make the case that everyone is experiencing your problems.

Your Mac came with 90 days phone support and after that, if you will not pay the per-call fee, Apple will not apply telephone tech support resources to your problem.

If you have access to an Apple Store, an appointment at the Genius Bar for an evaluation is free, in warranty or out.

We have reminded you that you are talking only to other Users here.

How else may we help you today?

May 22, 2012 11:14 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas,

This is a constructive post, as it may help a lot of people facing the same problem. All the violations started with some other posts trying to take it as personal! I didn't violate any terms of use and maybe you should be more open minded to other users problems.

If you want to fight in favor of Apple, no problem, I always do the same and that's why I have a lot of Apple products, and so my daughter, some of my employees and so on...!

So, take it easy!

If you don't agree, please just don't reply and leave this space for other people facing the same problems!

Macbook Pro board failure...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.