Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I do a PIP with multicam angle switching?

Using FCP X 10.0.4

Here's what I am trying to do:

I shoot some footage on multipple cameras when flying my plane and I'd like to do the following:

I'd want a picture in picture (pip) effect showing the front facing camera and the side facing camera, however i'd like to be able to switch the background from one camera to the other as in the multicam editiing. My clips are synchronised and i can create multicam clip with no problems and then switch angles.

I can do PIP no problem either, but I can seem to figure out how to do the background switching easily.

Is there a way to do this, such as in the multicam angle editing?

Thanks for any input!

/p

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 22, 2012 9:36 AM

7 replies

May 22, 2012 8:02 PM in response to paulfrommonaco

If all your footage is HD (16:9), try this out:

http://sight-creations.com/fxexchange/sc_PiP_HD.zip

I designed it as a Title so all you need to do is load up one drop zone. (There is no text associated with this Title effect. If you need text, use the Basic Title, position and format accordingly.)

Place it *on* the storyline (like a regular title) where you want the effect (it will not matter how many different clips are under it! They will change in the drop zone/background appropriately.)

There's a slider to switch back and forth between the two shots (just cross the center to switch.)

You can scale and position the inset as well as fade in/out (with Effect Opacity.) There is also a border with choice of color, width and opacity. With proper manipulation of keyframes and these parameters, you should be able to build a zoom out from the PiP to full screen (or vice versa). Don't forget to fade the border if you have one set.

If your footage is 4:3 or some other aspect besides 16:9, set the Border opacity to 0. It should work ok without the border.

I am assuming you know how to install the title as well as apply footage to drop zones... If you need help with these, reply and I'll go into more detail.

May 24, 2012 1:51 AM in response to paulfrommonaco

I haven't done a tutorial yet, but here are some further tips:

(This is not the "slickest" way of handling this, but this is just as fast and requires less explanation)

1) add the clip you're going to use in the drop zone to the storyline as a connected clip (anywhere - it doesn't matter).

2) any color corrections you need - do it before you apply to the drop zone

3) any trimming you need - do it before you apply it to the drop zone -- this is especially important if you need to drop zone to start playing from a specific location within your original clip and not from the first frame.

4) drag the clip under the storyline (you'll use it to "time" the PiP effect)

5) add the PiP HD Title to the storyline as a connected clip (usual application for a title)

6) click on the drop zone icon in the Title inspector and click on your edited clip (under the storyline) - then Apply

7) line up the dropzone clip (under the storyline) to the beginning of the PiP title (turn on snapping - it will be easier)

8) drag the end of the PiP Title to the length of the drop zone clip (or less)

(you can delete the edited dropzone clip from the project at this point to get it out of the way)

HTH

One last thing: if you run into a "weirdness" where the inspector is blank even when clips are selected, go out to the projects level, then back into your active project... I don't expect FCPX to crash... it's just an anomaly in its behavior that I ran into (for which I'll venture a guess that it's the drop zone in a Title...suggestion: don't double click on the drop zone in the canvas - this effect is not intended to be used with scaling and positioning inside the dropzone.) Once it was cleared up, it didn't happen again (with that instance of the PiP title). Let me know if you experience this issue. You might want to try it out in a practice project first.

May 7, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Jakob Peterhänsel

I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem. I have been trying to reproduce your problem, but I haven't been able to. I would recommend, though, that you right click on the clips in the Event Browser and selecting Transcode Media. If the option to transcode Optimized is available, then try that first.

Some clips will have a few "bad frames" at their beginning (green/black frames, etc.). Trim away (or range select) those frames out of the clip you apply to the Drop Zone. The best practice is to add the clip to the storyline (under the primary) and trim the clip or the PiP HD Title to be the same length as the other. This will allow you to cut the first few frames away. When you add the clip to the Drop Zone, select the Drop Zone source in the title inspector, then click on the clip from the storyline. Once you've added the clip to the drop zone, you can delete it from the storyline. This same technique can be used to "specify" the subclip play range for a drop zone.

If you continue to have problems, can you give me the codec, size, frame rate info on the clips you try to add to the drop zone that are causing problems?

Sep 4, 2015 10:04 AM in response to paulfrommonaco

Ok so I'm not sure if this was possible in earlier versions of FCP X(I'm often glad that I upgraded fairly rapidly through 10.1.x and now 10.2.1)

In any case I had this same question, how to do PIP with a multicam clip. The seemingly simple and intuitive solution was to select the range needed in the project timeline, Copy, and "Paste as Connected Clip"

This allowed me to easily create the PIP effect with the synchronized video sections using the Crop, Transform, etc

Hope that helps!

How can I do a PIP with multicam angle switching?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.