Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invisible / Transparent Dock Icons

I have been using mac's for some 4 years now and today every thing has just worked... however a few days ago I noticed the Safari @ spring icons in the right hand side of the dock had become invisible on my MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, however our iMac was working ok. I looked up the problem on the net and found it was the url.png icon file would be missing from the Dock resource folder. Simple I though just copy it from my iMac and away we go. No such luck no such file could be found, so the challenge started, some hours later everything was fixed.

Anyone else with the problem - heres how to fix it:-

The required icon file is stored under a different name, called GenericURLIcon.icns to find this go to:-

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle (right click and open contents to get resources)

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources (look for file GenericURLIcon.icns and copy to desktop)

Rename GenericURLIcon.icns on desktop to url.png

Now copy the new file to the Dock Resources, go to:-

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app (right click and open contents to get resources)

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/ (drag and drop new url.png file to Resources folder)

Finally either reboot or restart the Dock by opening a Terminal Window (type Terminal in spotlight to find)

In Terminal Window type (case sensitive):-

killall Dock

The Dock will restart and away you go.

Have Fun

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 22, 2012 11:37 AM

13 replies

Jun 5, 2017 4:49 AM in response to psLogic

I realize this is a 5 year old post, but I just had this issue, so its still relevant. I don't believe this post cures the problem, but cures the symptom. There are too many other factors that don't make sense.

Now I will say, that all of the icons Ive had do this, do seem to have iCloud ties to them, but I believe thats a coincidence, based on when this problem started for me.

This started when I went into USERS and GROUPS in the System Preferences (Gear Icon), and under START UP ITEMS I started finding double of things, so I put checkmarks, took out checkmarks. One of those may have been a 'helper' item, so its possible iCloud helper was turned off, or hidden?

I went back and took out all doubles, and took out all checkmarks because they HIDE items. So far, so good.

Aug 10, 2012 11:59 AM in response to psLogic

@psLogic et al.: Thanks for your suggestions - they tipped me off and doubtless saved me a lot of troubleshooting time. Another straightforward fix - I discovered after googling several instances of this problem - is to do a "Safe Boot" (hold down the Shift-key while rebooting). Presumably this forces a flush of various system caches - theorizing that, for whatever reason, corrupted files have made it into the cach(es) for quicker redisplay on reboot? This definitely fixed the problem.

This problem was also cited on MacRumors forums, 23 Sept 2009. I think that pre-dates naescent iCloud. 🙂

Sep 4, 2012 11:06 AM in response to robertfromtelford

by the way, i was able to fix my "invisible Safari dock icon" problem with a different, also simple method. perhaps you guys had tried this and it didn't work, but this worked for me:

- launch Safari

- in the dock: ctrl-click the (invisible) icon

- in the popup menu: click OPTIONS and turn "Keep In Dock" OFF

- quit safari

- relaunch safari (from the application folder, or from spotlight)

- the icon reappeared

Invisible / Transparent Dock Icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.