Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade to Safari 5 on an ibook Mac OS X?

We bought an iBook at a local auction which on the back of the laptop it says manufacture date 2002. The specs on this little cute laptop are:

Mac OS X - should I upgrade to Lion?

Version 10.3.9

cpu processor 900 mhz powerpc G3

memory 128 MB built in

CPU type: powerpc 750 (2.3)

L2 cache 512KB

bus speed 100 mhz

boot rom version 4.6.4f1

the Safari version is only 312.6 and it stinks as it crashes when loading certain web pages.

This is our first Apple (wish I could afford a new one) and I want to get this baby upgraded to improve performance. So any other suggestions on upgrading programs I need as I am not sure how much this computer can handle as it was manufactured 10 years ago.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on May 22, 2012 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2012 1:00 PM

That computer can only go to Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

(66604)

9 replies

May 22, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Niel

Okay. Niel, how do I upgrade it to OS X 10.4.11? Is there a download available here for this old operating system on the Apple site? I just have to get this working better as it is no fun having safari crash when trying to surf the web. And I hear people using firefox on these computers, is this a better option or not?

I am new to apples would like to know more. I am used to Windows (MS) operating systems.

May 23, 2012 10:10 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Oh okay good thanks Ronda.

I just don't want to get into trouble when adding new hardware to an older computer and having it not recognize it. I remember when we added new hardware and memory to a 1995 IBM Aptiva back in 2000 and then after that the aptiva kept asking for a disk most everytime you would turn it on and it was a pain to try to re-boot it and hope it would skip asking and finish booting.

Can I upgrade to Safari 5 on an ibook Mac OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.