Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility - Resize Partition

I'm using Snow Leopard on my Macbook Pro (i7, 2.7 GHz). I have a 500 GB HD that is divided into two partitions of 300 and 200 GB each.

I want to resize them in order to obtain two equal partition. Using Disk Utility, I was able to reduce the size of the top one (the one with the OS) but I cannot find a way to enlarge the bottom one to fill the blank space in between. In fact, I cannot drag the separator upwards, but only downwards (see the picture).

Any clue on how I might solve this without erasing all the data and create a band new partition? Thanks in advance.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 22, 2012 1:25 PM

19 replies

May 22, 2012 1:31 PM in response to itatz

Hmmm, not sure what you did to get what you have, but you cannot enlarge the bottom partition. You can only enlarge the top partition. My suggestion:

Delete that bottom partition. Drag the sizing gadget on the top partition all the way to the bottom. Click on the Apply button. When this is finished click in the resulting single partition then click on the Add [-] button which should automatically divide into two equally sized partitions. Click on the Apply button.

Now, this will erase whatever is on the lower partition you now have, but not the upper partition on which you have OS X installed. Be sure you have backups of your data before proceeding as a precaution.

May 22, 2012 1:41 PM in response to itatz

To avoid having to do as Kappy suggests each time you decide you got the sizes wrong the last time, I recommend not partitioning the drive at all — just leave it as a single volume. There is rarely any very good reason to partition the everyday startup drive of a Mac. It just complicates backing up and causes you to bump repeatedly into storage limits that you've needlessly imposed on yourself.

May 22, 2012 1:45 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your reply. To get what I have, I simply reduced the size of the top partition, thinking that I could enlarge the bottom one later... But I can't, and this is quite odd.

Actually, I was looking for a solution that does not include erasing any data from the bottom partition.

May 22, 2012 1:55 PM in response to itatz

There is no other solution. You can expand the top partition to fill the existing empty space between the two, but you can not expand the bottom partition upwards. This is only possible when you are partition a drive for the first time or repartitioning the entire drive, and it's not a startup drive that's currently active.

If you are willing to spend money to purchase a third-party utility, iPartition 3.4.1 ($45.00,) it can accomplish what you want, but otherwise you cannot do it in Disk Utility.

May 22, 2012 1:54 PM in response to eww

May be, but the OP has stuff on that partition and prefers not to delete it. Could be another OS or just data. In any case the only solution for the OP that doesn't involved deleting a partition is simply to expand the upper partition into the existing free space and end up with unequally sized partitions.

May 22, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

The OP doesn't want to delete the bottom partition if possible (which it is not) except to expand the top partition and have unequal sized partitions.

Right I understand that but to my knowledge there is no way yo expand the bottom partition upwards without first deleting it.

Not sure if there is a 3rd party partitioning programs for Mac's like there is for Windows. With those in Windows you can move space around as you like. But even with them sometimes you have to delete one of the partitions to be able to move it into another.

May 22, 2012 1:59 PM in response to Kappy

The bottom partition wasn't meant to be a startup volume, just a separate volume to keep my data, which I wouldn't have to format in case of OS upgrade (or format the partition).

Anyway, I'll backup my data somehow and I will delete the bottom partition. Then, I'll create a new one with all the remaining space and move my data back there.

The main issue is that my Macbook Pro (as, I suppose, all the others) is extremely slow in copying files from a volume to another.

May 22, 2012 2:03 PM in response to itatz

Well, that is always going to be the case copying from one partition on the drive to another because one r/w head can only be at one place at a time. Slower than copying between drives. Repartitioning your drive won't change this issue, but putting everything on a single drive will.

EDIT:

BTW, if you don't currently have a backup plan then I would consider making one. There is only one sure protection against drive failure - separate backups. Backup regularly and often. Multiple backups are better than one.

Disk Utility - Resize Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.