Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine restore from MacBook Pro to Mac Pro tower - is it possible?

I couldn't find a specific forum for TimeMachine so I decided to post here:

I have a MBP that is very heavily configured with lots of software. I want to upgrade to a Mac pro tower and keep my OSX and profile in tact. Can I perform an (upgrade) restore from my MBP to the new tower without any issues? Anyone have expierence with this method?

thanks......

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 22, 2012 2:57 PM

11 replies

May 22, 2012 3:01 PM in response to lonestarry

Yes, you can transfer data from the old computer to the new one using your Time Machine backup, but you don't want to do a full system restore.

When you startup the new computer you will begin in the Setup Assistant from which you will have the option to restore your Home folder, third-party applications, and system preferences from a Time Machine backup. Just be sure to have the Time Machine backup drive connected to the new computer.

May 22, 2012 3:02 PM in response to lonestarry

My suggestion instead of Time Machine would be to connect the MBP and Mp together with a Firewire cable before you start the MP for the first time.

Once you start the Mac Pro for the first time it will ask if you want to restore from another Mac. Tell it yes and it move everything it can from the MBP to the MP.

I know this work like a dream for me when I got my new MP.

Allan

May 28, 2012 11:06 PM in response to lonestarry

Hi Allan thanks for that, the question is now I suppose is should I do it that way. I assume any configuration problems that exist on the current machine will also be there on the new one. Is it possible to just transfer the apps and leave the OS as new?

Appreciate it is all about opinions, and coming recently from a PC world where a reload of the OS every 18months or so just to keep it free of problemswas a norm, thought it might also be revelent here with the Mac also.

Tony

May 29, 2012 5:23 AM in response to Lodds

You asked; "Is it possible to just transfer the apps and leave the OS as new?"

That is exactly what Setup Assisant does.

True with Windows reofrmat and reinstalling everything is required. For me while I was working I had support do my Windows laptop evry 6 months. There is no need to do that on Macs. I have been running OS X now for over 10 years and have yet to do that to any of my Macs.

Allan

TimeMachine restore from MacBook Pro to Mac Pro tower - is it possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.