Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do to get better battery life on iPhone

Hello everyone,

Here I'll post some advices in order to get better battery life on your iPhone.

1. Disable WiFi when you don't use it. Like you disable it on your Mac when you're on the go to save battery, do the same with your iPhone.

2; Disable Local Time and iAd localisation: go to settings, localisations, advanced, and uncheck them.

3. Keep push mail notifications, a lot of websites tell you to turn off push and use fetch to get your emails. But it consumes more battery.

4. Disable PING, go to settings, general, restrictions.

5. Disable localisation on the apps you don't need.

6. Disable Push notifications on the apps you don't need.

7. For iPhone 4S, disable raise to speak for Siri: settings, general, siri.

8. Close the apps you won't use in a while.

9. Something I do all the time, and it's the best advice. When you go to sleep, put your iPhone in Airplane mode, you can listen to music and play games. You won't be distrubed by SMS or calls during the night and I'll save your battery a lot! For instance when I go to sleep at 43%, I'll wake up at 43 or 42% 😀

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:19 PM

14 replies

May 22, 2012 6:01 PM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

In other words, disable everything you bought the phone for. Why not just throw it away and get a free phone from your carrier? It will get a week on a charge. If battery life is the most important "feature" in your life don't buy an iPhone (or any other smart phone).

I don't do anything that you have suggested, and my battery life meets my needs. I charge it every night and it lasts until I charge it again.

May 23, 2012 1:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

You can aslo disable Bluetooth, in my case I never use it. To answer to you, I use my iPhone quite alot, so much that I had to recharge it twice a day, which was very boring when I was on the go. I was so many times with my phone out of battery. So I prefer disable some stuff I don't use than having my iPhone turned off because of the battery!

May 23, 2012 1:57 AM in response to spacedye2001

To answer to people who don't care about saving battery life, maybe they don't use their iPhone that much and have never been out of battery in the middle of the day, without anything to recharge it...

Then answer to my questions 🙂

1. Why do you need to have the WiFi, Bluetooth, PING, and Siri raise to speak always active when you know you won't use it? Do you let your TV on all the day even if you aren't home? When I know I'll get home I turn on WiFi and I let it active if I know I'll connect later on another one. But if I know I won't use it all the day, I keep it turned off.

2. Maybe you travel so much between different local times that you need Time Localisation active, it's not my case. And who cares about having adds related to our locations? I never stare at them so I don't care if it's for my location or any other one.

3. Maybe you don't use the iPhone that much and don't have many apps on it. In my case I have more than 100 apps I use quite often. And how bothering it is to have 5 or more newspaper app telling me the exact same thing. So I turn off push notifications for some of them, that way I've the information I need just one time 😀

May 23, 2012 3:54 AM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

loïcfernandezcastrillon wrote:

You can aslo disable Bluetooth, in my case I never use it. To answer to you, I use my iPhone quite alot, so much that I had to recharge it twice a day, which was very boring when I was on the go. I was so many times with my phone out of battery. So I prefer disable some stuff I don't use than having my iPhone turned off because of the battery!

You CAN disable bluetooth, but it accomplishes nothing unless you are actively using it. Bluetooth uses about 3 mw when connected, none if no device is connected.

May 23, 2012 5:33 AM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

loïcfernandezcastrillon wrote:

Then answer to my questions 🙂

1. Why do you need to have the WiFi, Bluetooth, PING, and Siri raise to speak always active when you know you won't use it? Do you let your TV on all the day even if you aren't home? When I know I'll get home I turn on WiFi and I let it active if I know I'll connect later on another one. But if I know I won't use it all the day, I keep it turned off.

If I don't use a feature I turn it off. But the only one that you mention that I don't use is Ping.

• WiFi is already off whenever the phone is asleep, so turning it off is redundant and inconvenient. When the phone is not asleep I WANT it to use WiFi, because WiFi when connected consumes 30 MW, and 3G consumes 20 times more power, up 600 MW. Which would you rather use? Of course, if you are never in range of a WiFi hotspot I suppose you could turn it off, but it won't save anything for the reason already given, and because even when the phone is active if there is no network connected WiFi uses minimal power because it is in listening mode only, not transmitting. Turning it off may save you 10 minutes on a charge cycle in exchange for the inconvenience of having to turn it on and off.
  • Bluetooth uses no power when a BT device is not connected, as it is only listening. When connected it uses 3 MW, 200 times less than cellular connections. It thus has no measurable impact on battery life.
  • I use Siri raise to speak. It also uses no power unless you raise it to speak. If you don't use Siri why do you have a 4S instead of a cheaper model?

2. Maybe you travel so much between different local times that you need Time Localisation active, it's not my case. And who cares about having adds related to our locations? I never stare at them so I don't care if it's for my location or any other one.

iAd uses no power, but I turn it off anyway because I find personalized ads creepy. AT&T provides time sync and time zone sync so I do have time localization off in the US. I turn it on if the local carrier where I am traveling does not provide time sync.

3. Maybe you don't use the iPhone that much and don't have many apps on it. In my case I have more than 100 apps I use quite often. And how bothering it is to have 5 or more newspaper app telling me the exact same thing. So I turn off push notifications for some of them, that way I've the information I need just one time 😀

I use the phone constantly, and I have 180 apps on it, and use about a dozen of those multiple times a day. I use several where I am glad to have Push notifications, such as traffic reports, transit alerts, weather alerts. I only have 2 news apps. I never kill apps in the quick launch bar.

My battery lasts through a working day, and 2 days on weekends. I charge overnight every night, so my phone is at 100% when i start the day. Then I don't think about it and it seems to always be available.

The bottom line is that heavy battery use comes from only 2 sources, 3G data use and interactive games. WiFi, BlueTooth, Location Services, etc make very little difference in time between charges. One app that uses data will wipe out any gains from turning these off in 5 minutes of use. If you have a battery life problem focus on the heavy users of power, not the insects.

May 23, 2012 5:43 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

As I said I use WiFi when I get WiFi connections, I only turn it off when I know I won't use it for a while. I'm not always turning it ON or OFF when I leave or arrive home.

I use Siri whether with the headset or while holding the home button. And I use it alot. I love to text messages with Siri while listening to music.

About the apps, what I said isn't to kill all push notifications, but some apps about cooking which push you new recipes or newspapers that say pretty much the same thing. I've about 10 newspapers app, and sometimes I receive quite the same news 5 or 6 times by the different apps. So it takes battery and it's annoying. That's why I prefer to disable push for some of them. And I keep it for the ones I like to get notifications from.

Once again, most of my advices come from Apple: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

I didn't invent them 😉

Jun 5, 2012 12:01 PM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

I've got an iphone 4 with the latest SW and the battery life is appauling. To such an extent that this thing is getting binned if Apple don't release a fix. I've tried everything including all the suggestions above. I've also done 3 factory resets and taken off a load of apps so I now have it at the bare minimum. for the record I was happily using the phone for over 18 months. It's only since moving to 5.1 that I've had the issues. On a full charge I'm lucky if I get 4 hrs.

What to do to get better battery life on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.