Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can log into my iTunes account but can not access my account details, what's wrong?

I'm starting a new discussion here even though there is really nothing new to add to this discussion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3572699?start=0&tstart=0

I can sign in to iTunes with my apple ID no problem. However when I click account from the drop down menu (by my ID in the right hand corner of the iTunes screen) I get a sign in window in which my ID is filled in but it wants my password which I duly fill in . At this point the window just keeps coming back up for me to fill in. If I fill my password in wrongly I get red text telling me so.

So basically I can't view my account details even though I'm clearly logged in. I'm increasingly worried because If I can't access my iTunes account data how do I know my credit card is not being used by someone else?

I'm guessing it's a problem specific to my machine (MBP running up to date Lion) I'm wondering if it could be connected to the safari cookie problem that affects other issues with pop up windows as documented (and solved) here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3502463?start=45&tstart=0

Only I don't have that problem any more!

Help would be very much appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:26 PM

15 replies

May 23, 2012 5:00 PM in response to recyclemichael

Problem solved!

I started to suspect that the problem was with my computer rather than the apple servers.

Reparing disc permissions from Disc Utility seemed like an obvious thing to try but I thought I had done this without it working. However on OSX daily I read..."In mac OSX Lion repairing permissions from the Disk Utility app doesn’t repair the users file permissions"! Hmm nice one Apple- reparing permissions does not repair permissions! It seems that you have to use disc utility from recovery mode.

I then followed these instructions on OSX daily (dot com)

Repairing a Mac Boot Disk with Disk Utility & OS X Lion

• Reboot the Mac and hold down Command+R (To boot into recovery)
  • Select “Recovery HD” at the boot menu
  • At the Mac OS X Utilities screen, select “Disk Utility”
  • Select the boot volume or partition from the left menu and click on the “Repair” tab
  • Repair Disk is now possible, click on “Repair Disk” to repair the boot volume
  • Now verify disk permissions and repair them

This solved the problem for me 🙂

Hope it helps......

Am I allowed to award myself a greenie? Well I'm going to anyway because it was a pile of work getting to the bottom of this and I hope it helps others.

Jul 22, 2012 5:52 AM in response to iGnome

Hey iGnome,

Thanks for this post. This helped me find another post that actually fixed this problem. I am new to the world of Mac. I just purchased an iMac and after about 2 weeks, I was unable to log into my iTunes account. It would allow me to log on, but as soon as I hit the "account info" it would ask me for my password again and then tell me it was incorrect. I spent about an hour on the phone with apple support (useless). They walked me through a few standard steps like clearing cache, deleting shared folder (i think), etc, etc. None of that worked so they told me to contact iTunes support. Still waiting for a response from iTunes, but in the meantime I figured I would try to fix this myself. So, after reading this post I tried what you suggested, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. The folks at apple even had me set up a "test user" and to my surprise I was allowed to log on to iTunes AND view the account info under this test user. Oddly enough I still couldn't log in through my own apple user profile. Anyway, to make a long story short, I stumbled upon another post that suggested opening Safari and ensuring that the computer was set up to accept cookies or at least block them from third party. I did this, restarted, and viola! Problem solved.

Aug 7, 2012 10:55 PM in response to recyclemichael

I experienced the same problem on W7. Also had it when I tried to buy through my iPad. Changed the password which worked fine to log me in but the problem persisted when I went to access my billing info.

If Apple don't solve this soon, they will lose an awful lot of custom. We are not all technically as gifted as some of the posters on this site and Apple's great appeal has always been that, unlike M/S, it is easy and it works.

Aug 15, 2012 5:37 PM in response to recyclemichael

I too had the same issue with regards to logging in to iTunes and not being able to view my account or purchase products. Opening up Safari and resetting my cookies to "block cookies from third parties and advertisers" solved the problem. After resetting cookie preferences I shut down iTunes, opened iTunes up again, logged in once, and I was able to see my account info. Thanks.

Apr 10, 2013 10:18 PM in response to recyclemichael

Yes, I had the same issue (April 2013).

I could sign into the iTunes store, but not view my Account info.

The fix above worked for me -

I signed out of the iTunes Store.

Then quit iTunes.

Opened Safari and set cookies to "Block cookies from third parties and advertisers"

Then quit Safari.

Re-opened iTunes.

Signed in to iTunes store again ... and was then able to view Account info.

Sep 20, 2013 10:36 PM in response to recyclemichael

So, if this fix works this is the saddest day in history!!! An almost flawless design with very little problems since I have been using Macs, now something like this happens? I never use Safari because the browser is horrible, but still next thing you know you will have to accept advertising pop ups to download music ...

Poor iTunes it looks like you are losing the battle for downloading music ... so sad.

BTW I am venting for no reason sorry!!!

Oct 21, 2014 9:50 PM in response to erika1325

So, I did in Chrome on Windows 7 what others did on their Mac using Safari. I signed out of iTunes then went into Chrome, cleared all cookie data then checked Block third-party cookies and site data. I then went back to iTunes signed in, clicked view account and voila it FINALLY signed me in! I havte we have to go through all of this. Why doesn't apple put out some type of tutorial on how to quickly remedy these things.

The weird thing is that when I ran the native diagnostic tool under Help in iTunes it kept saying iTunes could not connect to the network and i the diagnostic rundown it said the Firewall was not enabled for iTunes. Turns out IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY FIREWALL!

Nov 30, 2014 9:41 PM in response to recyclemichael

In my case, the solution - as posted earlier in this thread - was changing Safari's "Block cookies from third parties and advertisers" settings.

I try to avoid iTunes whenever possible, but I was forced to search for this thread in order to turn on two-factor authentication.

I pray for Mac users less savvy than myself. I also pray that Apple chooses to devote sufficientresources in fixing this 2+ year-old defect.

I can log into my iTunes account but can not access my account details, what's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.