Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious iCloud Email Activity - Multiple Password Reset Requests

Hello,

I searched all over the internet and surprisingly I could not find a similar post anywhere. I probably wasn't using the right keywords - I can't be the first one, because this seems like a very straightforward phishing effort for multiple email addresses and identity theft. I hope that somebody can help me understand what happened.

BLUF: All accounts (about 4 of them) that are linked to my "Mail" app and iCloud sent password reset request notifications that I did not ask for - all within 20 minutes. iCloud was the only email address with a changed username and password of the bunch when it was said and done, thus my inclination towards believing it is the origin. What happened? Is this common? Is my security still at risk?

PRECEDENTS:

1. This is the closest I could find - but didn't quite describe the issue I had: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/loYy7y4WYiA

The link above describes some sort of spam. Mine appears to be actual attempts at retrieving passwords...not just from gmail...from all my linked accounts. Nothing outbound either. Only inbound.

2. The recent news of "iCloud" hacking could be related but my symptoms are different and I have recieved no indication from any contacts that I have spammed "outwards": http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57436244-263/icloud-hacked-or-is-it-simply- spam/

THE PROBLEM:

I have multiple email accounts from different sites for various uses (professional, recreational, old, etc.) - all linked into the "Mail" App. Today I am checking my email after not using it for an hour or two and notice many unexpected emails.

1. The first is two password reset notifications for my yahoo account.

2. Shortly afterwords, a password reset notification for gmail.

3. Shortly afterwords, a password reset notification from an additional professional account linked to mail.

4. I am also simultaneously notified that I can no longer access my "iCloud" email because my userid or password are wrong (they weren't wrong 2 hours earlier). THIS is why I feel it originated through a compromised iCloud account and spread to all linked email addresses...hence I am posting on the iCloud forum.

Actions Taken:

1. Bank Stuff frozen by me temporarily - no suspicious activity or login attempts to report on thier side.

2. All email accounts passwords changed...and through "Security Question" means when possible so as not to be re-comprimised. All concurrent sessions logged off for the email accounts when option available.

3. iCloud password reset and changed through security question as well - login successful - nothing in the sent, trash, spam, inbox that seems suspicious.

4. Here I am with you trying to figure out what happened and if my security is still comprimised.

Does anybody have any idea what happened? Or can anybody point me in the right direction to a similar event of attempted phishing or identity theft? Are my accounts still at risk?

Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide,

Sean

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:54 PM

There are no replies.

Suspicious iCloud Email Activity - Multiple Password Reset Requests

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.