Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple remote and OSX Lion

Hi all!

This might seem like quite a daft question..

I disabled the ability to control my iMac with the Apple Remote when I got my Mac Mini (they were in the same line of sight).

Then I upgraded to OSX Lion on both when it was released and I cant find the option to enable the support of remote again!

(I.e the option isn't available/visible in System Pref. -> Security -> General)

I just moved my iMac into another room and I thought it would be a nice feature to use it as a "TV" sometimes..

Answers in swedish are also acceptible!

Regards

Michael

Posted on May 23, 2012 3:03 AM

6 replies

May 23, 2012 3:09 AM in response to Roman S.

Like I said, I disabled the IR-reciever during my OSX Snow Leopard period and that option is gone in OSX Lion..

That's my problem! I can't activate it again! The remote works fine with my Mac Mini (OSX Lion) but I use a Harmony Remote there instead..

So the pairing isn't really the issue here, it's reactivating the built-in IR reciever in my iMac that is the issue

Thanks anyways!

May 23, 2012 3:33 AM in response to m_rystrand

Ok then, my bad. Then I'd suggest creating a new user and seeing if the setting is there. If it is, then you could reset your preferences for the user but then you'd lose your entire settings in the System Preferences (e.g. iCloud settings, resolution, etc):

Finder -> Go (press Option(Alt) at this point) -> Library. In the Library find Preferences -> select all files that start with com.apple.preference... and move them to the desktop. Then log out of your user and log back in, all your settings should be reset and see if you can find the settings then.

If the settings isn't there on the other user as well, you can try resetting the SMC: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Which for essentially means that you switch off your iMac -> pull out power cable for ten seconds -> put it back in and start up normally.

Hope your issue gets resolved 🙂

Apple remote and OSX Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.