Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Authoreware Book into ibooks author

I am in the process of converting my book which was made in authorware to ibooks author. I need some info to be given to the graphic artist for layout, images and 3d animation work.

1. What should be the size and resolution for the layout (for cover page, content page)

2. What should be the format of images and maximum size of the images

3. What should be the format of 3D animation and 2D animation.

4. Is there any other information required other than the above mentioned?

From where can I get all the info.

Thanks a lot for your help.

iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 23, 2012 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies

May 23, 2012 12:39 PM in response to Supremepower

I am using 3D graphics for my book too. I am almost finished and I might as well share some of my discoveries using iBooks Author.

1. So far I have read that you should make your images larger than the ratio of the ipad. Since the iPad 3 has a retina display (2048x1536) render images at this resolution, since iPad 2 will downsize it anyway. The cover image is 600x800. Since no one can actually zoom in on this image, it doesn't have to be HD like the other pages. (If you see a real ibook, it shows the cover for about 2 seconds and then opens the book).

2. I have read that JPG is the best image file to use since you can reduce the file size and keep the resolution while PNG you can't.

3. WIth the 3D widget, I think .OBJ is the file you can use.

4. All you need is iBooks author, assuming you have updated your mac to 10.7.2. You must have MAC OSX lion, ibooks author and download iTunes Producer (an app to send your book to itunes) iBooks 2 reader app and an ipad with iOS 5.1. Assuming you are going to make an interactibe book, you may need iWorks 09 to make Keynote stuff to add it. You will need an audio editor and a ePub compatible text editor to edit the code (XML) to add read aloud features. (Assuming you don't know what the next steps are, you will need an ISBN number first soon after you finished the book, second you need your tax id to enter into itunes account, bank account, and then you can submit book. I heard it takes from 2 weeks to 2 months to find out if it has been accepted or rejected. It can be rejected by simply having the word "iBooks" in your text, as an example).

Hope this helps, this is an overview of everything you will need to go from ibook author to published ibook. Here is another tip, you won't get much info on the deeper parts of ibooks author. You will have to learn them yourself or talk to someone who has already finished an ibook and get tips from many sources. No one source will have all the info you need, yet. Here are some more resources:

iBooks Author: Publish your book to the iBookstore

How to Sell iBooks in iTunes Producer - YouTube

How To Write Your First Book In iBooks Author

Apple Will Own Your Work With iBooks Author

How to Create Fixed-Layout iBooks, Part 1 - The Adventures of an ...

May 23, 2012 3:32 PM in response to Jake_Russel

Thanks for posting this info!

Minor correction:

Jake_Russel wrote:

Apple Will Own Your Work With iBooks Author

The info at that link is inaccurate. Apple have since updated the EULA to make it clear that only the .iBook version must be distributed through the Apple store, and only if it is a paid book. You can distribute in .iBook format by whatever means you like if you don't charge money.

Regardless of the format the book is published in, the publisher retains all rights to the book (not Apple). You are free to re-publish the same content elsewhere as you see fit. Apple's claim to distribution royalties extends only to books that are published in .iBook format and are paid for.

Michi.

May 23, 2012 4:20 PM in response to Jake_Russel

2. I have read that JPG is the best image file to use since you can reduce the file size and keep the resolution while PNG you can't.

It can depend on the image - digital photos....jpegs. Artwork'd images....pngs. Either way, it's up to you to apply the correct resolution/dpi. 264 dpi for the new iPad, as an example.

As Apple says:

Use JPG for opaque raster images and PNG for transparent raster images whenever possible.

Best method in all cases is to test your images at various resolutions to learn what process fits your content and workflow - you're users will appreciate it 🙂

May 23, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Jake_Russel

I did some comparisons between an iPad 2 and the new iPad. For general photos, I found that increasing the resolution did very little to the overall impression of quality. Photos look good in 1024 x 768, and don't look noticeably better in double the resolution (unless you are a quality fanatic and have very good eye sight).

But it does make a differenc for line drawings. The higher resolution noticeably inmproved the appearance. Far fewer "jaggies" on slanting lines.

Michi.

Authoreware Book into ibooks author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.