Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code 4

Hi

I would like to set up new connections and new profiles in my time capsule as I cannot acces my disk for long time already. I have done a factory reset on my TimeCapsule, it was done perfectly, more than twice. After that I was able to connect to it's WiFi, but when I tried to configure it in the Airport Utility (Windows 8 consumer preview, as I do not have a MAC) an error massege come up, which tells me: "An Error occured when trying to access the Apple wireless device. Make sure your network configuration is valid, and try again." In the left bottom corner of the same window: "Error: -4".

Can anyone help me out with it please?

Thank you:

Laszlo

Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Gen), Windows 7, Windows 8 consumer preview

Posted on May 23, 2012 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2012 2:20 PM

Use ethernet.. wireless is always going to glitch until you have it setup properly as the default names are wrong from SMB.

You can pull the TC out of the network and just plug it into the pc with a short ethernet cable.. press and hold the reset whilst powering it on.. and keep holding until the led flashes rapidly.. around 15sec. This is the full factory reset. There are 3 different reset methods on the TC.

Setup with names that are short, no spaces, pure alphanumeric.

Lock the wireless to a/n -b/g

Lock the wireless channel.. for 2.4ghz that is 1, 6, 11

Give a different name to 5ghz from 2.4ghz.

Eg TC name is TCLaszlo

2.4ghz wireless name TC24ghz

5ghz wireless name TC5ghz

Set security to WPA2 Personal.. set the passkey to 8-12 characters. pure alphanumeric.

Further for disk access set the guest to on with full write permissions, and set the workgroup correctly.. generally WORKGROUP

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2012 2:20 PM in response to cslaszlo

Use ethernet.. wireless is always going to glitch until you have it setup properly as the default names are wrong from SMB.

You can pull the TC out of the network and just plug it into the pc with a short ethernet cable.. press and hold the reset whilst powering it on.. and keep holding until the led flashes rapidly.. around 15sec. This is the full factory reset. There are 3 different reset methods on the TC.

Setup with names that are short, no spaces, pure alphanumeric.

Lock the wireless to a/n -b/g

Lock the wireless channel.. for 2.4ghz that is 1, 6, 11

Give a different name to 5ghz from 2.4ghz.

Eg TC name is TCLaszlo

2.4ghz wireless name TC24ghz

5ghz wireless name TC5ghz

Set security to WPA2 Personal.. set the passkey to 8-12 characters. pure alphanumeric.

Further for disk access set the guest to on with full write permissions, and set the workgroup correctly.. generally WORKGROUP

error code 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.