Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty restoring an iPod

There are many posts and good answers about this, but they haven't sorted out my problem.

I have an older iPod (40GB, dock connector, 3rd generation I think). I was getting the folder/exclamation mark error on the screen.

I've charged the battery. Done a hard reset. It ket coming back to that symbol - and is in Disk Mode.

I then followed the suggestions of Mitch 751: Exclamation point and folder and...: Apple Support Communities

That led me to finally erasing the disk as he describes in his intermediate level steps.

I assume that is to get rid of any corrupt areas on the disk.

Then, plugging in again - iTunes recognized an iPod (no name now of course) and let me name it - then suggested I update it to 2.3. When I do that, it appears to update, but when it is supposed to restart (while being left plugged into iTunes), it never restarts.

I can add some songs to it, and sync. But when ejected, it remains in Disk Mode. So I can't see the menu system to play songs etc.

I've iterated through that a few times.

Now I'm again trying to do a Restore from iTunes. I've tried this a few times and it doesn't seem to complete. It just seems to not make any progress.

I get the little popup window saying 'Restoring "iPod"... with the bar below - but that bar continues to blue-band roll rather than coming up with a time estimate and bar progression as it does (it has run for over an hour without any change)

Suggestions? Perhaps I'm not being patient enough.

iPod 3rd gen 40GB (dock connector)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 23, 2012 4:36 PM

1 reply

Difficulty restoring an iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.