Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 5.1.1 Installation issues and known bugs

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade from ios 5.0 to 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4 handset. I am sure most of you would have already installed ios 5.1.1. Before I install this new OS I would like to know known issues for ios 5.1.1;

1. Installation problems

2. Post-Installation problems / Bugs

As I had encountered catastrophic problems while upgrading from ios 4 to 5.0, I don't want to fall in the bug trap again.

If someone could throw light on these 2 topics along with solutions that would help most of the people who would be reading this discussion message in the future.

Thank you for your understanding

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 23, 2012 4:34 PM

8 replies

May 24, 2012 12:53 PM in response to Software_Critic

I have been having issues with my Iphone 4 since updating. I did OTA update. I have issues when receiving calls and making calls. Party on the other end of call can not hear me. Also, the phone can hang from time to time when a call comes in. Seems to be related to the phone app and other apps on the phone being open at the same time.

The phone was working great until I loaded this last update.

May 31, 2012 6:08 AM in response to Software_Critic

A restore did not work to fix the issue. The behavior acts like some sort of memory leak issue. The phone app gets slow, and hangs, the phone gets all out of joint, and sometimes reboots. I wish i could go back to the previous point release I had no issues with it. Anyway back to the behavior. I noticed when I make a call sometimes the speaker is highlighted, if that happens, I know the call will go through but no one will be able to hear me. If I play with the speaker key, and the mute key it eventually will work, or reboot the phone.

I really wish APPLE WOULD FIX THE ISSUE!! I hope the error is captured in the error logs that get sent to apple.

I also have noticed that when the phone is in working condition, and i open a few apps like facebook or twitter, and then go make a call, sometimes it wont work, the call goes through but no one can hear me. A hard reboot of the phone at that point fixes the issue

May 31, 2012 9:33 AM in response to ellema

I reset the factory settings, I reset the network settings, I rebooted the phone, I removed the SIM card and nothing has fixed the issue! I plan on going to an apple store to see if they can help with the issue. This is very frustrating because I've never had any issues with my phone before this ios 5.1.1 update.

Jun 6, 2012 8:07 PM in response to Software_Critic

Yeah I had no problems with MY phone although I waited for a while to hopefully avoid problems. BUT on my wife's iphone 4, the apps are greyed out in iTunes and she is unable to make any app choices in iTunes. I rejected the iCloud but she didn't know better. I suspect this as the culprit. Also we use different computer systems for our iTunes, so this is the only ohter variable that could factor in to the cause.

ios 5.1.1 Installation issues and known bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.