Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to rename a user's folder (the short name of the account), using Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Suppport page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

iMac OS X 10.6.8. previously migrated account -- need to rename the account at the destination.

Step 6 in the support page does not occur. I never get a chance to hit OK to this:

6. Click OK when "A folder in the Users folder already has the name 'account name'. Would you like to use that folder as the Home folder for this user account?" appears. Note: This will correct the ownership of all files in the Home folder, and avoid permissions issues with the contents.

A red flag appears in the field that conflicts (either the short name or the full name). The name(s) cannot be changed! must cancel out.

What am I doing wrong?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Previously migrated account

Posted on May 23, 2012 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:12 PM

Did you do step 2? Log in as root? You may have missed it but that means when you are prompted for a log in password you use the userid "root" and the password you specified when you enabled root. This is different than using your own admin account and password.

3 replies

May 28, 2012 11:11 PM in response to X423424X

I did eventually solve my problem (and rename a home folder to match a shortname auto-generated from a new account name). Your suggestion is good, and I had done it in step #2, but the main problem/solution I had was entering the correct 'new' user account name that would auto-generate the short name. It works if you get everything lined up, so to speak. Thanks.

Trying to rename a user's folder (the short name of the account), using Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.