Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro wont wake to external monitor in clamshell mode

When I have my macbook hooked up to external monitor it works great unitl I put it to sleep. Sometimes it kicks right up to the external monitor but the majority of the time it cant reconnect to the monitor. It just turns blue then off then blue likes its trying to figure out what to do eventually it says out of range. I then have to unplug the external monitor, wake up my mac with the screen open reconnect the monitor wait for it to pick up and then close it again and wah laaa it works. Any tips or suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 23, 2012 9:49 PM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2014 6:18 AM in response to TMorss

We have this issue with the MBP and Thunderbolt display on all OSX Versions from 10.7 to Mavericks.

Some details on this:

When the MBP wakes up from sleep mode, the external display (in this case: Thunderbolt display) stays black.

One solution is to open the MBP, which in some applications corrupts icon order etc. due to the lower resolution.

Another solution is to unplug and reattach the thunderbolt connection.

We found out that this is an issue with certain applications, among them oracle virtual box, adobe applications and others. Just close them before going into sleep mode and everything is okay (NOT hide them but close them the CMD-Q-way ;-) )

It is suspicious that alle these applications that cause the wake-up-hangs use a per-display-fullscreen-mode, not the native OSX 10.7 / 10.8 / 10.9 fullscreen-mode (you may notice their windows do not have the two fullscreen-mode-arrows on the upper right corner). So this may be a place to search for a bug, is anyone interested doing this?

Dec 21, 2014 10:58 AM in response to TMorss

I'm having a similar problem with a MBP 13" retina. I have to cycle power to the monitor after waking up the computer in clamshell mode.

This problem exists weather I use mini-display to DVI or HDMI to DVI. One difference is, with the mini-display to DVI I have to cycle power on my monitor (HP w2207) if my MBP is open or closed to get it to work. With the HDMI output, it works when my computer is open and I plug into the HDMI output, but in clam shell, I have to cycle power.

Strange.

Macbook Pro wont wake to external monitor in clamshell mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.