Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import a csv file without "+" being added to numbers?

I'm trying to import a csv file from my bank. Numbers automatically adds a "+" and "-" sign before all numbers. Numbers won't add the numbers with a + sign. How can I easily remove the + sign? It seems the delimiter in the csv file may be ", rather than , Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Numbers 09 version 2.1 (436)

Posted on May 24, 2012 12:25 AM

4 replies

May 24, 2012 8:26 AM in response to WaynefromSA

Wayne,

I don't believe that the plus sign came from Numbers. Except for a purposful application of a Custom Format, Numbers isn't going to add the plue sign. The minus sign is another issue. It's a perfectly acceptable part of the value and shouldn't cause a problem.

If the plus sign came from the CSV file, which you seem to imply isn't the case, you would have to strip it out before submitting to Numbers.

Jerry

May 24, 2012 5:00 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerrold, you're right. I've checked the CSV file & the plus sign is in there. I can strip it out but this is tedious. Interestingly, if I copy the numbers [with the plus sign] in Numbers & paste to Excel, the plus sign disappears. If I then copy the numbers in Excel and paste them back into Numbers, the plus sign is gone. This is easier than editing the CSV file. However, I'm wondering if Numbers has a filter of some sort that can be set to eliminate the plus sign appearing in the first place. Wayne

How to import a csv file without "+" being added to numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.