Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newer version of ipod-software needed for use App

I got the next message in itunes for some of my older (allready used) and for newly bought apps:

An (bought) Application not installed, because a newer version of the ipod-software is needed.

It's strange that i can't use these apps, especially because itunes is calling the software (4.2.1) up to date.

Is there an update coming for my ipod touch, so i can excess the apps (again)?

I (my daughter) want(s) to use those bought apps.

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on May 24, 2012 12:15 AM

16 replies

May 24, 2012 2:34 AM in response to jeroenruissen

If iTunes is saying that iOS 4.2.1 is the up to date version (for your iPod), then that's almost certainly because you have a 2nd generation Touch, which cannot go higher than iOS 4.2.1. There is unlikely to be any further update for the 2nd generation Touch because it is not powerful enough to use the iOS above 4.2.1.

To check which model you have look on the back at the Model No. etched into the case. A1288 is 2nd generation, A1318 is 3rd generation.

I have a 2nd gen Touch, so I now check which version of the iOS is required before I update any App. If the App requires iOS 4.3 or higher, then I do not download it. I currently have six Apps like that, so I have to stick with the older versions of them.

Jul 19, 2012 9:18 PM in response to jeroenruissen

I have the same problem. An itouch that is 2 years old should not be obsolete for new apps that require a slightly higher version of the operating software. I bought iRig Amplitube and it says it works on 2nd generation iTouch, but it doesn't because of this inane problem with 4.2.1 being the latest software and the app requires 4.3. This is pure BS from Apple and I refuse to buy anymore of their products. Back to Microsoft and Android devices.

Jul 20, 2012 8:45 AM in response to caliban4

caliban4 wrote:

I bought iRig Amplitube and it says it works on 2nd generation iTouch,

Where does "it" say that? Certainly not in the iTunes Store. Every Amplitude App that I can find in the store says that it requires iOS 4.3 and iOS 4.3 will not run on a 2nd gen Touch.

caliban4 wrote:

and the app requires 4.3.

.. and where exactly did you find this out if "it" (above) says the App works on the 2nd gen Touch?

caliban4 wrote:

Back to Microsoft and Android devices.

Okay, bye, thanks for letting us know.

Jul 20, 2012 8:59 AM in response to the fiend

Easy...check the box cover of the AmpliTube iRig. It shows the iTouch 2nd generation there as one of the devices. The online store says 4.3. If I buy something I would buy the hardware first and then the app, not the other way around. So when I pick up an iRig in the store and it shows iTouch2, I have to assume it will work, not so? Is that clear enough for you?

Jul 20, 2012 9:12 AM in response to caliban4

....er, I forgot....and do you think it's right that Apple just cuts off the OS like that so that any new version is not backwards compatible even though the device is only two years old? Sounds like money drives the issue instead of the customer. With MS, I can be assured that if I am running windows 7, most of the software I bought prior to 7 will still work, or to put it another way, apps that I buy a couple years from now will work with the system I presently have. If Apple works otherwise, then it *****, pure and simple.

Jul 20, 2012 9:32 AM in response to caliban4

check the box cover of the AmpliTube iRig. It shows the iTouch 2nd generation there as one of the devices.

Then your complaint is with AmpliTube for providing incorrect and contradictory information. This is not an Apple issue.

With MS, I can be assured that if I am running windows 7, most of the software I bought prior to 7 will still work, or to put it another way, apps that I buy a couple years from now will work with the system I presently have

Nonsense. There are many applications for earlier versions of Windows that will not work, or do not work correctly, on Windows 7. And many computers on which Windows 7 will not run, even some that are only a couple of years old. And Microsoft has announced that the upcoming new version of Windows Phone will not run on many older devices, including some built only a year ago. The same applies to the most recent versions of Android as well.

In any case, there's no point in continuing an argument over this. If AmpliTube requires iOS 4.3 or later, it will not run on a 2nd-generation iPod touch.

If some other device would suit you better, by all means go buy it.

Jul 20, 2012 9:32 AM in response to caliban4

Yes, that 's now very clear, in a way that it very definitely wasn't in your previous post.

You failed to mention that the App in the Store is part of a physical object that you've also purchased. Not only that, but "it" does not mean "a physical box that (I) bought as well as the App and one doesn't work without the other".

Anyway, since you now tell us that "it" is the box from Amplitube and not Apple, it's clear to me that the cause of this problem, for you, lies with Amplitube, not Apple.

In fact, I've checked a little more into this as I write this post.

• The pictures I've found actually show an iPhone, not a 2nd generation iPod Touch. But perhaps I'm being picky there. (Not sure I could tell a 2nd gen from a 3rd gen Touch just from its picture.)
  • The description on Amazon UK states that: "you can plug your guitar into an iPod Touch via the iRig hardware adaptor with no further setup needed". To me, that suggests that buying the App is an extra, not actually a requirement. That in turn, suggests that you can use your iRig/guitar setup without an App. If this is incorrect, then you should discuss that with the retailer who stated it - if that's how you come to be in this situation, because that certainly has nothing to do with Apple.

So I fail to see where Apple are to blame for any of this. If the iRig doesn't work without the App, and the manufacturer of the iRig failed to mention this, or the manufacturer of the iRig then redesigned the App so that it then required iOS 4.3, which then excluded people like you - you need to take the issue up with Amplitube, not Apple.

The problem is not that the App requires iOS 4.3 - the problem is that the iRig App designers have designed the App so that it needs iOS 4.3 That was their decision, not Apple's.

Is that clear enough for you?

Jul 20, 2012 3:18 PM in response to lllaass

I suspect you're correct lllaass, in fact I'm sure you are. All the more reason for caliban4 to discuss the matter with iRig, not Apple.

I was attempting to ensure that caliban4 understands that not every single thing in the entire universe is Apple's fault, a common myth on the forum, you may have noticed. As I tried to explain, here and in other posts, if the App designer updates an App to a version of iOS that excludes existing customers, that's down to the App maker, not Apple.

As for caliban4's assertion that he or she is "going back to Microsoft and Android", - well, I think the occupant of "the old house on the hill" {above} covered that one adequately.

Just realised, your id is the letter L, three times, not "eye, ell ell".

Apologies.

Message was edited by: the fiend

Jan 12, 2013 8:35 AM in response to Apple.Seed

Apple.Seed wrote:

Not to add fuel to the fire but this page in the apple store does say it will work with 2nd gen ipod touch.

: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H2169VC/A/amplitube-irig

I had the same problem.

That page is for the iRig device, that's the physical hardware.

This discussion (or more specifically), the issue under discussion, concerned an App, designed to work with the iRig. At the time this thread was originally written, Amazon's site stated (at that time) that the iRig could be connected to an iPod with no further set-up.

However, since then, several things appear to have changed, and therefore the previous disucussions here are no longer relevant.

Looking today, on the iRig site, there is no mention of the 2nd generation Touch, and Amazon no longer state that the iRig can be connected with no further set-up. But as you may have noticed, the page you linked to does mention the 2nd gen Touch.

So possibly, there is an issue.

I suggest that first thing you need to do is bring the issue up directly with Apple, not here on these forums. The issue, by the way, is that Apple's page appears to suggest that the 2nd gen Touch can use the iRig, while the iRig site does not.

Then, if you have been inconvenienced by this, you may need to discuss that with both Apple and iRig. (These are my personal suggestions, they hold no legal status. Please, for your own benefit, remember that .)

Apr 24, 2013 11:51 AM in response to the fiend

Typical Apple reply bye bye not oh we can sort this with a simple update . I have the same problem with 40 iTouches yes 40 they belong to a school and now they are useless even iBooks have deserted them with version 3 not supporting 1st Gen (3 years old) I am recommending an andriod system a lot cheaper and more upgradeable.

Apr 24, 2013 1:51 PM in response to Dean4e

No one who replied here works for Apple. The Fiend is a user just like you, expressing his or her own personal opinion.

As to your issue, I offered some thought in your own thread on the subject:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4992865

But if you believe that Android devices get upgrades for longer than Apple provides for iOS devices, you're of course perfectly free to switch, but I think you need to look more carefully. New Android releases not being applicable to even fairly recent hardware, in some cases less than a year old, are one of the major complaints about the platform.

Regards.

Newer version of ipod-software needed for use App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.